Best boots

they did not fit as well as the Meindl boots and also did not have the support.
That's interesting. My Montana brother in law swears by them, but of course everyone's feet are different. My AKU's were fantastic but just not the right thing for snow/muck. Would have been much better in the dry and scree so I'm keeping them for that purpose. I tried some Scarpa's but my toes were miserable, they were just too narrow in the toe box for me. Really hoping the Schnee's work out well, if not I'll try some Meindl.

That's interesting. My Montana brother in law swears by them, but of course everyone's feet are different. My AKU's were fantastic but just not the right thing for snow/muck. Would have been much better in the dry and scree so I'm keeping them for that purpose. I tried some Scarpa's but my toes were miserable, they were just too narrow in the toe box for me. Really hoping the Schnee's work out well, if not I'll try some Meindl.
Look at using Gaiters.

Steve

Made a good hike on Friday. About 8 miles round trip. Hiked into the Jewell Basin on the snow. Pretty good test for the Hanwags. Pretty rough terrain and very nasty conditions. Mud, snow, rocks, rain, and steep terrain. Had only worn these boots in the house before the trip. Boots were flawless. The kennetreks are now definitely the back up boots. The Hanwag Trapper GTX is definitely a top tier boot worth looking at.

Steve

Did you use gaiters over your boots??
Made a good hike on Friday. About 8 miles round trip. Hiked into the Jewell Basin on the snow. Pretty good test for the Hanwags. Pretty rough terrain and very nasty conditions. Mud, snow, rocks, rain, and steep terrain. Had only worn these boots in the house before the trip. Boots were flawless. The kennetreks are now definitely the back up boots. The Hanwag Trapper GTX is definitely a top tier boot worth looking at.

Steve

Did you use gaiters over your boots??
Yes sir. With out there would be snow up the paint legs. Also I like them for holding everything in. Keeps pants dry to the knees so you don't have that wetness capillary down your socks into your feet.

Steve

I think any serious hunter or backpacker can find the right boot in this thread. I think the short list of great boots is here.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.