Best technique....

northtoalaska

The best "technique" I know is to spend 99 1/2 hours of physical training for every 1/2 hour at the range. This ratio increases after you hit forty. The range IS more fun than the stair climber...if you can pop a ram at long range that's a plus but you might as well sneak a little closer as most likely you will be in on hiking up there anyway to gut and pack him, possibly in relays depending on terrain. I'm not a grand slammer, just a regional resident dall hunter that's been doin' this for years. Legs in gear-mind in neutral will get the job done...weather permitting...aching knees... and dehydrated body willing. Oh...which reminds me...two more things...pace yourself and allow yourself enough hunt time! I could ramble on and on, just thought it looked like this catagory needed a new thread.

The best "technique" I know is to spend 99 1/2 hours of physical training for every 1/2 hour at the range. This ratio increases after you hit forty. The range IS more fun than the stair climber...if you can pop a ram at long range that's a plus but you might as well sneak a little closer as most likely you will be in on hiking up there anyway to gut and pack him, possibly in relays depending on terrain. I'm not a grand slammer, just a regional resident dall hunter that's been doin' this for years. Legs in gear-mind in neutral will get the job done...weather permitting...aching knees... and dehydrated body willing. Oh...which reminds me...two more things...pace yourself and allow yourself enough hunt time! I could ramble on and on, just thought it looked like this catagory needed a new thread.

As a fellow dall hunter/harvester, I think you put it very well. I am blessed to be in fairly good shape naturally and get into good shape farily quickly. So I spend my winter and spring at the shooting line and the summer getting into sheep shape. Then just a couple of trips to the range just before the hunt just to polish up my mind and trigger finger. You cannot replace mental toughness and preparedness for dall sheep hunting nor determination. Physical abilities are a close second. I say this because my hunting partner isnt in very good shape but is very mentally tough and very determined. As you stated, he also takes the time needed and paces himself. He is a successfull sheep hunter.

As a side note, I have shot my best rams when I was in the best shape. I have shot smaller rams when I was in OK shape.

I would disagree with your time. 991/2 hours is a lot of time. I know that you should go to the range at least once per week. Every sheep hunter should have a full sized rifle that is similar to their sheep setup in a 223/22-250 so that they can shoot often at different ranges. This is because of the high price of ammo. You can buy a ton of the milspec or varmit 22-250 and shoot it as well.\.

My guess is that I run between 36-50 miles per week and if I figure that it would be about 6 hours of training to 1 hour on the range. That is probably the best balance. My last long run was 13 miles in right about 2 hours 10 minutes. I am going for 15 miles in my long run this week.
I am not a small guy either as I go about 245 and bench 375lbs max. I find myself lifting at least 2 X per week.

Range time is a necessity if you plan to take a long shot otherwise you might as well go hiking.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Range time is a necessity if you plan to take a long shot otherwise you might as well go hiking.

Not to take away from the importance of range time but with at least dall's in mind, you can be the best marksman in the world and it doesnt meen jack when youre too out of shape to make it out of the bottom of the drainage. Be in shape or you may as well stay at the range.

99.5 hours is a bit of a stretch yes but the point is all the range time in the world wont do you any good if you cant pack your fat butt with your pack and your rifle into where the dall rams live.

The point here is spend the needed time getting into proper shape to be successfull AND to avoid injury or strain on the body. The range time that gets fitted in will be enough to handle the shot when it arrives. There will be NO shot to be had without getting into shape.

Cardio conditioning is just one element of successful sheep hunting.
Knowing how to use your gear and having equipment that is tested is important as well.
Strength is another element.
You can fly into some sheep country and not have to bust in but to do the whole thing right you have got to have a plan and cover all of the bases. You can't go sheep hunting with a rifle that is 3 MOA @ 100yards and expect to crank an old 40 inch buster at 450 yards.

My point is that I have taken marathoners and members of the elite special forces only to have them give up the ghost after 5 or 6 miles of busting alder and devil's club. I could just let them try to go home on their own but what would you tell their spouse or family if they didn't make it. You have to be a bit different to go all the way.

I have been up in the TMA and have watched a hunter shoot a whole box of shells on about a 36" ram and the sheep was less than 200 yards away. It walked away none the less for wear to die by a well placed 300 Win Mag shot three days later.

The number 1. thing about conditioning is that it will extend your hunting life by years. It will also extend your life and that is important as well.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.