Best barrel for a Remington 700 300wsm?

Jhorton887

first full build I will be doing on a bolt gun only had experience in ARs so sorry for some ignorance. I have a 700 in 300wsm with a magpul hunter stock and trigger work from local gunsmith. Next job is getting a new barrel not looking to shoot much past 1000 yards on the normal but would like something to shoot very tight from 300-800. Shooting hsm 185gr factory ammo looking for the some good options on a heavy barrel. what length and twist is working best? Which company's have the quickest turn around on shipping out? Not looking to waste 6 months waiting a barrel. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Bugholes.com always has a good inventory of premium barrels ready to ship.

What's yalls thoughts on length and twist? I have found plenty of barrels on line and have already checked into most major barrel sights y'all have posted.I'm not sure what length and twist will be needed to stabilize the bullet to it's a full potential. It's hard to find data or either I'm looking in the wrong places on what's working best on a 300wsm

What's yalls thoughts on length and twist? I have found plenty of barrels on line and have already checked into most major barrel sights y'all have posted.I'm not sure what length and twist will be needed to stabilize the bullet to it's a full potential. It's hard to find data or either I'm looking in the wrong places on what's working best on a 300wsm

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Barrel length boils down to application/personal preference and what you are willing and able to carry afield. 1:10" gives you the best flexibility.

I have a 30" Lilja 1:8" groove SS #6 contour (.750") at the muzzle on my .270 AI at I carry up and down the Montana wilderness.

Thanks I have heard 1-10 is probably my best bet on it. Wasn't sure what length would be needed to get the best burn out of a WSM, and stabilize a 180-215ish grain bullet seems like every other video I watch tells me something slightly different and I can't pin down a good medium between them all figured i would ask before making that investment and waiting 6 months to only have something that isn't giving me it's full potential on the ammo I am running

I have 24" and shoots the 215 without any issues but I have the altitude in my favor.

IIWY, 26" would be my minimum. If you're planning on suppressor, you'll have to consider contour and length more considerably.

If weight and size is a consideration I would go 24". That's plenty for the 185 grain bullets, and it's the length that most rifle makers are putting on their WSMs. Going to a 26" barrel won't buy you much with the 185s, maybe 50 fps. If shooting the 215s a lot I'd go 26" since you'll see a bigger increase with the slower powders and heavy bullets.

10 twist is what you want.

Thanks everybody that info has helped a lot just wanted to be sure I ordered something that I wouldn't be disappointed in...going be ordering one here in the next week or so. hopefully have it all in and add all the bells and whistles on and be at the range before next season

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.