Best 7mm-08 load from spring black bear

Joelb58

Hello-

I am deciding between my rem model 7 7mm-08 and 30-06 for an upcoming spring bear hunt. I am not shooting the 30-06 well and would feel much better about the 7mm-08 if its enough gun.

Am right in assuming there is not much difference in gun between the 7mm-08 and 30-06 for bear? My shots will likely be under 150yards (likely under 100).

What load would you recommend I bring for the 7mm-08? Thanks.

While hunting black bears in Canada, I saw a young gal take a 350lb bear with her 7mm-08. She used a 140gr conventional cup & core bullet. The big boar didn't run very far before piling up.
I'd much prefer a 140gr Nosler Partition bullet for the job, however, most big game bullets will get the job done if shot placement is good.

If you don't shoot the 30-06 well, I think you're making a wise choice.

You don't say how this hunt will take place, bait, hounds, spot and stalk?

I prefer heavy for caliber bullets, and some of those in a light gun, might rival the recoil of your -06. The 175 partition is what I would use for up close bait sets, or hounds. The 160 Accubond for the longer shots.

personally I think there is a big difference between 7-08 and a 3006 for bear that being said the 7-08 will get it done if your shots are 150 or less I would go with a nosler partition 175 with 42.5 grs.of h4350 at 2400fps that will hammer him

A 140 or 160 accubond bullet would do a black bear in pretty good. At 150 yards or less, I would load the heaviest bullet your gun can shoot accurately.

personally I think there is a big difference between 7-08 and a 3006 for bear that being said the 7-08 will get it done if your shots are 150 or less I would go with a nosler partition 175 with 42.5 grs.of h4350 at 2400fps that will hammer him

To get that advantage, in my experience, takes the heavy for caliber bullets as well.

Black bear are not any harder to kill than a deer. I would go with which ever bullet shoots best between the 140 or 150 gr Nosler Partition. If you don't want to do any tracking place the bullet to beak BOTH shoulders. Many experienced bear hunters around where I live use dogs and shoot a bear in the neck of head to kill them DRT so there is no chance of getting a dog hurt or killed. Many use a 30-30 Win leaver rifle because they are light and easy to handle.

If your 7mm-08 has a 1:9 twist, you could use the Berger 180 VLD's. If it has a 1:9.5 you could use the Berger 168 VLD's, all with a healthy dose of Varget. Working up your load of course to find what's most accurate.

Sorry if i am missing the joke but are those actually reloads?
No, those are not reloads. HSM has their own new brass produced for them. They are a very legit company. They use NEW brass, and the highest of components.

There's no joke... Those are bullets loaded by an independant company called HSM that uses Berger bullets, and they are very precisely loaded ammo, compared to most of the ill-measured factory loads you will buy by the big name brands that are just shucking them out as fast as they can, just to make as much money as possible. All of the other big name companies produce their own bullets, or are already in-bed with some other bullet company.

Berger bullets are awesome, and the fact that some company takes the time to buy them, and loads them independently, and sell them, makes me lean more towards that company, instead of the big names that don't really give a crap, because the mice will always eat the cheese no matter what crap they throw out there.

I handload, so, I don't have to worry about messing with factory junk ammo. I make my own precision stuff. But if I didn't handload, I would probably be using HSM ammo with the Berger bullets.

So, there was no joke, just merely helping to point you in the right direction.

They might not even shoot good out of your gun, but you'll never know until you try them.

No, those are not reloads. HSM has their own new brass produced for them. They are a very legit company. They use NEW brass, and the highest of components.

There's no joke... Those are bullets loaded by an independant company called HSM that uses Berger bullets, and they are very precisely loaded ammo, compared to most of the ill-measured factory loads you will buy by the big name brands that are just shucking them out as fast as they can, just to make as much money as possible. All of the other big name companies produce their own bullets, or are already in-bed with some other bullet company.

Berger bullets are awesome, and the fact that some company takes the time to buy them, and loads them independently, and sell them, makes me lean more towards that company, instead of the big names that don't really give a crap, because the mice will always eat the cheese no matter what crap they throw out there.

I handload, so, I don't have to worry about messing with factory junk ammo. I make my own precision stuff. But if I didn't handload, I would probably be using HSM ammo with the Berger bullets.

So, there was no joke, just merely helping to point you in the right direction.

They might not even shoot good out of your gun, but you'll never know until you try them.

cool thank you for the education.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.