300 wsm load for black bear

Msax80

What would you guys suggest for a load for black bear?

Shooting a Tikka T3 lite in 300 wsm. I would be surprised if I am looking to shoot past 600 yards by the time the hunt roles around in May.

This is my 300 WSM bear load.

200 gr Nosler Accubond .045 off the lands
62.8 grains RL17
Fed 210M
Norma brass

This load runs right at 3000 fps

Took one at 211 yards this year with this. Bang flop. Plus an extra just because it was a bear. Wasn't needed though.

210 Berger Hunting VLD. Kissing the lands
59.6 gn RL17
Fed 215M
Norma brass
Running 2900 FPS

So I am new to reloading. What are the differences between the two bullets suggested?
Difference between the primers?

So I am new to reloading. What are the differences between the two bullets suggested?
The bullets are very different in shape and internal construction. The Berger is very pointy and ususally wants to be closer to the lands and grooves if not touching or even slightly forced in. The Nosler is more "normal" and wants to be a little back from the lands and grooves.

The primers are similar but the 215M is for "magnums" and the 210M is "Normal". In a WSM because of the short powder column, the choice of magnum primer vs. normal primer is IMO weather conditions, personal and gun driven. For target work, I found much better consistency with 210M primers but if I were hunting in sub freezing weather I'd use the 215M.

Another thing to note is that both of the loads are pushing max loads and you probably won't find these loads in a handloaders book. Main reason is that most loads for 300 WSM and RL17 don't use over 180 gr bullets. But it does work well with 200 gr bullets as these loads prove. So, follow the handloaders rules and start the loads low and work up. 5% to 10% lower than max is a good place to start. I believe I started working up this load at 57 gr.

Reason we are using 3gr difference is powder charges is because my bullet is touching the lands which raises pressures, so I cannot use as much powder. Hopefully I am giving up some speed for a tad more accuracy at longer ranges.

The Accubond would be good for a double shoulder shot on a big PA bear. You don't want him running into the bushes on ya. The Berger would be good for a longer range heart, lung shot that causes massive trauma to the vitals.

300 WSM is more than enough for black bears. You might want to try some other loads form the Nosler loaders book. Like even the 180 Accubond. The Accubonds might be easier to work up a good accurate first time load with. The Bergers can shoot exceptionally well but can be finicky.

Good luck and hope to see some big bear pics next May!.

Another thing to note is that both of the loads are pushing max loads and you probably won't find these loads in a handloaders book.

Mine is definitely in the higher accuracy node. However, I have seen guys pushing upwards of 64 grains with the 208 A MAX. I know my rifle wouldn't handle it.

The bullet designs are completely different in design from shape to terminal performance. I'll touch more on the terminal performance. The Berger is a fragmentary bullet, meaning that it's design is such that it penetrates through the initial impact then violently explodes sending shrapnel through the vitals. In many instances this bullet expends all energy into the animal since the bullet's momentum is split into hundreds of different directions. This bullet works well for long range because it doesn't require as much velocity for expansion.

The Accubond is a bonded hunting bullet designed to penetrate through heavy bone and deliver energy into the vitals. Nosler recommends an 1800 fps minimum for reliable expansion, which, in my load is good for 750 yards ASL

The extra mass of the heavy bullet helps in both instances. With the Berger it allows for increased initial penetration, increased impact energy, and provides more mass to get shed as it explodes through the vitals. With the heavy Accubond, the increased weight retention allows for maximum momentum and energy dump as it penetrates through the animal usually passing straight through.

I prefer the Accubond for bears because I prefer to break the front shoulders down with a heavy bullet built for smashing. The Barnes TSX works well for this too.

Guys thanks for all the detailed info. This has been very helpful and informative. It has also sparked some further questions.

What is ASL?

What are the "lands" on the bullets? How do you know how to seat them to the specified depths?

Does reloading like this require any special tools? So far I have only reloaded .44 magnum for handguns.

Guys thanks for all the detailed info. This has been very helpful and informative. It has also sparked some further questions.

What is ASL?

What are the "lands" on the bullets? How do you know how to seat them to the specified depths?

Does reloading like this require any special tools? So far I have only reloaded .44 magnum for handguns.

ASL = Above Sea Level

The lands are where your rifling starts in your rifle's chamber. We use the lands as a starting point for seating depth tuning. When someone says they are .050 off the lands it means that they have determined where the lands are for that particular bullet and have seated the bullet to jump .050 to the rifling when the round is fired.

We use seating depth as one of the tuning methods to time the bullet's exit from the muzzle. In your instance with a Tikka. Load your rounds to magazine length and work back from there by seating the bullet further into the case in .020 increments to tune your load.

I have resently been working with a new 300 WSM rifle for general big game hunting. My rifle did not shoot the 200 Accubonds even close to decent so I have ended up with 180 Sciroco's over max load (69,5grs) of 7828 SSC in Norma cases, Fed 215 primers. It shoots heart warmingly well, <3/4" at 300 meters. MV 2985f/s.

In my gun a WARM load - but it shoots SO WELL that I do not want to tinker with it.

200 Partitions and 200 MK shoots almost as well, 1-1,5" at the same range. Same primer Power and brass. 67,5 grs of powder.

For bears I would us a 200 Partition and limit my shots to 450.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.