Best 30cal groove configuration?

ohiohunter

I believe I read somewhere that the military came to the conclusion 4 grooves gave the 30cal its optimal performance. Is this true? I know Kreiger's 30's come 4g unless otherwise specified.

I do not know which cartridge the military was investigating, but would this hold true on a 300wm? I think I'm a little torn, 4g or 5r.

I'm pretty sure the 5R configuration is about the best. It doesn't allow there to be any pinch-points or stress-points on the bullet during it's travel down the bore.

Also, a true 5R barrel is a breeze to clean-up! I mean, a few quick swipes and it's back to mirror-finish. You'll notice that even the brushes and jag/patch slides easier down a 5R barrel than most others.

My 5R .308 Win barrel is so simple and easy to clean, just a couple swipes with the brush and couple patches and it's good to go. It holds virtually no copper. I've gone over 200 shots before cleaning it, and it didn't even really need it then, it was still shooting bughole groups.

The worst shooting custom 30 cal I ever bought was a 4 grove Krieger. That in no way means they all would be. I had a bad one. But I have built and owned lots of 30's and the most accurate have been Broughton 5C's and Hart 6 groves.

Jeff

The worst shooting custom 30 cal I ever bought was a 4 grove Krieger. That in no way means they all would be. I had a bad one. But I have built and owned lots of 30's and the most accurate have been Broughton 5C's and Hart 6 groves.

Jeff
I will also go with what Jeff said, the old Hart 6-groove (like Remington still uses) is also hard to beat. I have factory 6-groove Sendero and Varmint barrels that will drive tacks and shoot 1-hole groups with handloads.

The 5R is my favorite, the 5C is very very similar to the 5R, and next in line would be the Hart 6-groove.

I agree with mudrunner I have a Krieger on a Surgeon a Scapel and I have a Broughton on a winny the Broughton is not only faster it cleans up easier the Krieger is a 5R the Broughton is a 5C

Tactical Operations Inc builds a lot of 30 cal rifles. They give a quarter minute accuracy guarantee. They use Krieger 4 groove barrels. I'm not certain but I don't think they will use a 5r barrel and give that guarantee.

I am very happy with my TC Venture 5r match grade barrel
250 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20140810_102116_212.jpg
    IMG_20140810_102116_212.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 47
I have had my best and worst luck with 4 grooves in my 30 cal rifles. I must say that I have had only one 4 groove barrel that was bad, but I don't think the number of grooves had anything to do with it, it was just a bad barrel.
I hear 3 groove barrels are trending more and more, but I have no desire to go down that route, I'm happy with my 4 groove barrels.

Cheers.
gun)

I personally believe the number of grooves plays the smallest part in barrel performance when compared to all the things that contribute to whether or not a barrel shoots.

Ive shot 3,4,5, and 6 grooved barrels, when at their best, i couldnt say any one was more accurate than any other.

What ever config you choose, get a good smith because thats one thing that can make any barrel worthless.

I had good shooting Kriegers and good shooting Broughton 5C. I have set records with both at 1000. The Broughtons cleaned easier and had more speed. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.