Best .277 bullet

emmagator

I'm about to start reloading for my 270 wsm. Looking for the best long range hunting bullet, up to elk. But I would also like this bullet to get out to 1000 yards. I've been leaning towards the 140 accubond, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Their are 3 really good bullets I would highly recomend you try. Berger VLD, Berger VLD or maybe if you don't like either of those 2 try Berger VLD's.:D

No need to concern yourself. I have either shot myself or personally witnessed over 70 animals from Hogs Whitetails and Elk shot with Bergers from 40 yards to 410 yds. 90% have died in the tracks they were standing in. Rarely do you get an exit wound but who needs one when they fall in their tracks? The only animal I have ever seen not fall in it tracks are some large hogs but then they rarely fall in their tracks with any bullet rather it be a Barns XXX or any other.

No need to concern yourself. I have either shot myself or personally witnessed over 70 animals from Hogs Whitetails and Elk shot with Bergers from 40 yards to 410 yds. 90% have died in the tracks they were standing in. Rarely do you get an exit wound but who needs one when they fall in their tracks? The only animal I have ever seen not fall in it tracks are some large hogs but then they rarely fall in their tracks with any bullet rather it be a Barns XXX or any other.
I've just read on some other threads that the bergers don't open up at closer ranges, but hard to argue with your first hand experience.

150 Berger VLD hunting out of 270 WSM is excellent on elk and deer to at least 800, dont worry about close either, my hunting partner used mine to smoke a nice bull at 75 yards and it dumped in its tracks, (150 VLD out of my Browning A-Bolt 23 inch barrel-3025fps-1/2 100yd load)

I would look at the matrix ballistics 165gr bullets I've been shooting them at yots and even had a friend that had some buffalo that he need killed to butcher the farthest one was a big bull at 732yrds he never moved and it took about 30 seconds and he was down and we found the bullet stuck just in the shoulder on the other side and it had retained about 50% hope this helps and I would stay away from the bergers my friend shot a small cow at 480yrds with his 270 wsm with the 150vld and it took four shots and not one went more than 10" and exploded so if it were me I would pass on the bergers

I would look at the matrix ballistics 165gr bullets I've been shooting them at yots and even had a friend that had some buffalo that he need killed to butcher the farthest one was a big bull at 732yrds he never moved and it took about 30 seconds and he was down and we found the bullet stuck just in the shoulder on the other side and it had retained about 50% hope this helps and I would stay away from the bergers my friend shot a small cow at 480yrds with his 270 wsm with the 150vld and it took four shots and not one went more than 10" and exploded so if it were me I would pass on the bergers
I know bergers really fragment when they do open up, which im not sure if im comfortable with. I always used a hunting bullet that mushroomed nice and retained its weight so im leary of the bergers. Plus i dont like alot of damaged meat. Wow those Matrix VLD 165 look impressive.

So far in my shooting the 140 Accubond is real good for closer shooting, I haven't put it on anything over 600 yrds so after that I don't know yet. So far all the elk and deer I've shot with the 140 Berger just pile up dead as a knob on impact, all shots right behind the shoulder go in and start to open just at the ribs then do a slow blow through the vitals with the jacket just under the hide on the of side, but I found them tough to keep shooting good.
The Accubond has just shot well all the time even with the throat shot out they still shoot real good just not as fast as they once did, with the throat gone the Bergers spray into about a one foot area at 200yrds and the Accubond is still running just over an inch at 200yrds.
I could never get any Hornady product to shoot except the 110 V-max which I shot rock chucks with and fire formed with and the only Barnes I've used is the 110 TTSX for coyotes which by the way is outstanding!!
I'm going to run some 165 Matrix bullets out soon I hope, I've been waiting forever for a set of reamer bushings to get a new barrel chambered, it would just be a waste to shoot them from my 1-11 twist barrel! They look good though, I measured and weight them all and they were very tight spec'ed. If they don't blow I wonder what kind of lead they have, they have the same jacket and meplat as the Bergers I was going to assume they would function just like the Berger till I got them on game, if they don't blow like the Berger but share the excellent flight characteristics they will be a strong contender, I'm dieing to shoot them!!!!

Pitbull, what twist are you using? Have you heard of any Matrix being launched from a 270 AM yet?

bignigreen i have a 1-10 and I'm pushing them at 3010 as the 270am go's I have a friend that has tried the 175gr and they didn't hold up but after that I talked to marshal and he told me there was a difference between the 175 and the 165 and that the 165 might hold up so far I very happy with the 165gr performance

bignigreen i have a 1-10 and I'm pushing them at 3010 as the 270am go's I have a friend that has tried the 175gr and they didn't hold up but after that I talked to marshal and he told me there was a difference between the 175 and the 165 and that the 165 might hold up so far I very happy with the 165gr performance

Very interesting and thanks! The last time I talked with Marshal it sounded like the 165 needed a 1-8 so I was a little worried about getting them to run out of the 1-9 I have, we may have switched to the 175 in our conversation without me knowing it, looks like I'm GTG!!!

bigngreen I've shot the 175 out of my 270wsm also and they shot lights out to and I'm running them out at 3000fps and I've test them just on rocks and yots so far but from 300yrds to 1000yrds they shoot great

I think if you can push them around 3000fps you should be all right and if your barrels is still in good shape

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.