Best 25-06 brass

I shot Winchester brass in my last Rem 700, 25/06. I had 100 cases for the rifle in a Case Guard 100, used a Forster neck sizer to bum;p the shoulder back on each firing and never had to full-length size the brass. I shot the barrel out with IMR 4350 with 87g Speer Hot core and Sierra spt at 3600 fps, darn hot loads at the accuracy node. I did anneal at the fifth firing, propane torch and pan of water.

I used Lapua in my 25-06 and use it currently in my 25-06AI. Primer pocket is super stout on the Lapua. The same cannot be said for Nosler brass. I have actually had good luck with Starline brass in my 270Win and will be giving that a try in my 25-06AI once this Lapua brass bites the dust. I neck turn all my brass after the 2nd firing and anneal between each firing.

I missed that part, my bad. I am using 30-06 head stamped Lapua brass.
I started sizing 30-05 to 25-06 in the early 70's, since there was little or no 25 brass available. Used RCBS trim die to neck the brass down then fire form with light loads. Retired tham after around 15 load cycles when the necks started to split. Brass la was late 50's Lake City military.

Last edited:
I had great luck with my hunting rifles, Rem 700 V, Ruger V, and Savage 112J's with Rem and Winchester brass if you can find any.

Lapua is no doubt stronger in the case head, but is also .004 larger in the case head than Winchester. Necking down can create it's own set of issues, and you may end up neck turning, depending on the brand of brass you neck down.

I've had good luck with Norma brass but recently picked up a couple hundred pieces of the good old school Winchester brass for future use.