Bergers for hunting???

Mortgage Man

How do you guys like the bergers for hunting? I am shooting a 100gr of retumbo and using the 180gr barnes xlc and it is shooting really good groups (all bullets touching like a colver leaf @ 100yds). But I have heard good things about the bergers. I have only shot one animal with my 300RUM and it was a mule deer at 425 yards, stopped him dead in his tracks. I couldn't get the accubonds to group as good as the barnes xlc. I haven't heard much about the barnes so I was wondering what you guys think of them too? I have read other posts on here about the bergers but I am curious how well they do on big game. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

I shoot a 300wsm, I am shooting the 190 bergers at 3000fps. I shot a 350 boarhog at 144yards. The damage was devastating to say the least. My uncle was so impressed that he is getting some bergers for his 7mm mag. I hit him behind the shoulder and it looked like he had a grenade go off inside him. He actually ran about 20 yards (strong suckers) but he was leaving large chunks of heart, lung and everything else along the way. Tracking him was not a problem.. I will definately stay with the bergers.. I am going to try the 210's next..

I've shot the 168g out of 7 RM at 3000fps, and the 210g out of a 300 RUM also at 3000fps. I only shot a couple coyotes with the 210's out of the 300 RUM, results were obvious. Massive damage with about 6-8" exit holes. Pretty cool to watch the fur fly on those! Ha ha ha.

I've shot 2 coyotes with the 168g vld and 2 muley bucks as well. Same type performance. Massive internal damage, while leaving 6" exits on the yotes, and an easy 2-3" exits on both deer. The first was 175 yards or so, the 2nd was 618 yards. I"ll continue to use them...

[ QUOTE ]
I've shot the 168g out of 7 RM at 3000fps, and the 210g out of a 300 RUM also at 3000fps. I only shot a couple coyotes with the 210's out of the 300 RUM, results were obvious. Massive damage with about 6-8" exit holes. Pretty cool to watch the fur fly on those! Ha ha

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe someone would use such a large gun on a coyote!!! Don't you just feel terrible for wasting their pelts?? A 17 Rem would have been a much better choice!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like they work pretty well. I appreciate the input. I think I will load some up and see if I can make them shoot. Rem25-06, I really appreciate you calling them by their up-most respected name "coyotes" instead of their slang and disrespectful names like: yotes, dogs, kyoties, target practice, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifThanks again guys!

Rem, do me a favor and load some 125 BT's in that 300 and cut a couple of those"yotes" in half so we can post them over on the "gods" site!

Its passsed my mind once or twice before...I did load some 125g NBT's up at 3950fps but I only bought 1 box of them for load development and then how ever many I had left to hunt with. I ended up not seeing or shooting a coyote with them and said I'd never put those bullets down my barrel again going that fast. Ha ha ha, I probly coulda got a couple hundred more rounds out of it if I wouldn't have put those 125's through her...I might bring my dads 300 RUM out to play for a while, I sure do miss the big guns every now and then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW- Next coyote I shoot with my "magnum" and its a good one, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll let whoever wants to post it over there on that coyotegods site or whatever, I dont care.

Nolo263, I also am shooting the 190 gr berger vld out of my savage 300wsm with a 28" barrel and getting 2970 fps. I am loading 68 grains of Hodgdon 4831sc,federal primium GM215M primers and Norma brass and am 0.015" into the lands. This is a very accurate load for this rifle. Am using it for long range shooting out to and past 1000 yds. Fully dressed the rifle ways 17 lbs. I am interested in what load you are working up for your rifle using the 190 gr. berger bullet. I hunt mule deer long range where i live and found this bullet to be very accurate and effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.