Berger VLD Hunting Recommendations

amce

G'day all

Thinking about testing the 6.5 (.264) 140 gr VLD Hunting in my .260 Rem (23 5/8" barrel, 1:8" twist). If I can source them:roll eyes:

Any info on a start load or min and max limits as well as COAL would be greatly appreciated. I use Lapua .260 cases and normally CCI 200 LR primers.

Cheers

G'day all

Thinking about testing the 6.5 (.264) 140 gr VLD Hunting in my .260 Rem (23 5/8" barrel, 1:8" twist). If I can source them:roll eyes:

Any info on a start load or min and max limits as well as COAL would be greatly appreciated. I use Lapua .260 cases and normally CCI 200 LR primers.

Cheers

Just stumbled over the 260 Rem Load Recipes thread. Will spend an hour or two reading through it.

Cheers

My load for the 140 VLD is Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primer, 42.7 H4350, COAL 2.885 +/- (BTO 2.230). This is in a 26" heavy barrel. I don't have a solid read on the velocity, but I believe it is around 2750. No signs of excess pressure in my rifle. Quickload shows this load at 55,873 max psi, 2765 fps.

Berger lists 37.0 as the min and 41.1 as the max for H4350, but at a COAL of 2.800 fo the 140 VLD.
Hogden shows data for a generic 140g projectile with H4350 at 39.0 min, 42.90 max and COAL of 2.780 (but that will not be right for the longer VLD).

As always, start at the min and work your way up, and follow all normal safety practices. Berger's reloading manual is pretty good, pick up a copy and take a look.

My load for the 140 VLD is Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primer, 42.7 H4350, COAL 2.885 +/- (BTO 2.230). This is in a 26" heavy barrel. I don't have a solid read on the velocity, but I believe it is around 2750. No signs of excess pressure in my rifle. Quickload shows this load at 55,873 max psi, 2765 fps.

Berger lists 37.0 as the min and 41.1 as the max for H4350, but at a COAL of 2.800 fo the 140 VLD.
Hogden shows data for a generic 140g projectile with H4350 at 39.0 min, 42.90 max and COAL of 2.780 (but that will not be right for the longer VLD).

As always, start at the min and work your way up, and follow all normal safety practices. Berger's reloading manual is pretty good, pick up a copy and take a look.

Thank you

Cheers

amce,
Keep in mind that you may not be able to seat the VLD bullet to the COAL listed (magazine length) due to the length of the bullet, the length of the cartridge case and the length of the magazine box so you may end up with a single shot rifle. If you need any help on your testing feel free to contact us.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Reloading Tech,

amce,
Keep in mind that you may not be able to seat the VLD bullet to the COAL listed (magazine length) due to the length of the bullet, the length of the cartridge case and the length of the magazine box so you may end up with a single shot rifle. If you need any help on your testing feel free to contact us.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Reloading Tech,

Thanks for the heads-up. My mag measures 2.965" internally. I'm running Lapua Scenar 139 gr at the moment. Base to Ogive 2.190", OAL approx 2.819".

Have not yet been able to source any 6.5 VLD Hunting as yet over here. They're as rare as rocking horse poo.

Cheers

amce,
Sounds like this is a target rifle? Correct? Or both hunting and target?
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

amce,
Sounds like this is a target rifle? Correct? Or both hunting and target?
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

It's a Sako 85 Varmint in 260 Rem. Heavy barrel with a 1:8" twist. Not unusual with 7mm groups at 100 metres (0.24 MOA) with Lapua Scenar 139s over Vihtavuori N550. The Scenar is not allowed for hunting here so I'm looking for a target-hunting combo that is as good or better. Only one cartridge to worry about. Also I think they'll be great for taking foxes and wild dogs way out there on the property down-under when I get back next spring

Cheers

amce,
The 140 or 130 grain hunting VLDs should do the trick for both.
130 grain VLD LOAD for N550 = 36.5 min to 40.5 max, approx. velocities are 2501-2766 fps and its a 93% fill ratio.
140 grain VLD LOAD for N550 = 36.0 min to 40.3 max approx. velocities are 2419-2685 and its a 91% fill ratio.
Since this is a "dual purpose" rifle we suggest you make a dummy round to the lands and start your bullet seating depth at .010 off the lands, then test at .050 off the lands, .090 off and .130 off. ALWAYS USE THE LOWEST POWDER CHARGE LISTED FOR THESE STEPS. If you want to see if you can tweak the seating depth a little to see if you can improve your accuracy go .005-.010 to either side of the seating depth listed above that you had the best group at.
To work your powder charge back up. Go up in 1/2 grain increments until you get 2 grains below MAX LOAD. Then go up in 1/10thgrain increments from there always checking for pressure and accuracy. Do all your group shooting with the barrel fouled to the point where the bullet strikes on a target are clustering and no longer rising for the seating depth and load testing. Hope this helps!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

amce,
The 140 or 130 grain hunting VLDs should do the trick for both.
130 grain VLD LOAD for N550 = 36.5 min to 40.5 max, approx. velocities are 2501-2766 fps and its a 93% fill ratio.
140 grain VLD LOAD for N550 = 36.0 min to 40.3 max approx. velocities are 2419-2685 and its a 91% fill ratio.
Since this is a "dual purpose" rifle we suggest you make a dummy round to the lands and start your bullet seating depth at .010 off the lands, then test at .050 off the lands, .090 off and .130 off. ALWAYS USE THE LOWEST POWDER CHARGE LISTED FOR THESE STEPS. If you want to see if you can tweak the seating depth a little to see if you can improve your accuracy go .005-.010 to either side of the seating depth listed above that you had the best group at.
To work your powder charge back up. Go up in 1/2 grain increments until you get 2 grains below MAX LOAD. Then go up in 1/10thgrain increments from there always checking for pressure and accuracy. Do all your group shooting with the barrel fouled to the point where the bullet strikes on a target are clustering and no longer rising for the seating depth and load testing. Hope this helps!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Brilliant mate! Thank you

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.