Berger VLD bullets as hunting bullets

Here is how Berger justifies using target bullets for hunting:

"Our bullets don't poke through like an arrow but instead expend all of their energy right where it is most effective, inside the animal. Bullets that poke through so that they can cause a blood trail are designed to result in a hunter tracking a wounded animal. Using the Berger VLD will result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot."

hahahahahahaha....

I really doubt that Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Barnes etc. would agree with this "pitch", but what do they know?

Somebody on another post said it best when he said that they took a weakness and turned it into a strength. Good marketing.

Of course, "as long as you believe it, does it really matter?"

They sure are accurate bullets though. Too bad they are made in Kalifornia.

Looks like a nice 200 pound buck there the way your holding it. Is he the one that walked behind the one you were aiming at?

As far as bullets, shoot the ones that shoot the best in your rifle. My bench has bullets from about every bullet maker. They all kill stuff with the right shot.

In the last 3 years I have personaly witnessed over 50 animals taken with Bergers from 243 cal to 300 win mag. All but one fell in the tracks they were standing in. The one ran about 30 yards and left a blood trail any one could follow. That one was hit a little farther back and a little low for my liking. Last elk I shot with hornady interlocks took 3 through the shoulder before he fell. Not knocking hornady but for me the proof is undenieable.

Actually Bergers are the best bullet for a marginal shot. Higher BC's equal more energy which means more damage. Thinner jackets equal more damage and a faster kill on a marginal shot. It seems this debate always divides long range hunters. As for the blood trail debate, with more damage and bleeding from a VLD style bullet even 1 hole will let more blood out than 2 holes from a bullet that does not create as much damage internally.

Good thought. Terrain is a good thing to consider with shot placement. Here in SE Wyoming I can sit down in many places and watch most animals die of old age. I could probably hunt with FMJ's here and do just fine.
Nevertheless, I always hunt with controlled expansion bullets just in case there is a tree nearby. haha
Wildlife would be important to consider too. I would never use a FMJ in bear country. I have encountered several bears while hunting and they definitely get your attention every time.

My kid and I were drilling speed goats w/ 87 grn bergers out to 550. Took 4, in last 2 yrs, not to worried about sending a 300 berger at them , with the norma, it puts a heck of a mark on gong at460.

I have seen big game shot with just about every bullet out there and have shot game with Bergers myself. I switched from barnes bullets to Bergers because they shoot so well out of my STW. I honestly believe that the bergers will perform on game even with a poor shot. All of the premium bullets out there will work well on game inside their designed applications, I would find whatever works best in your rifle and use it. For me the bergers group well and perform better down range than most other hunting bullets. The higher BC gives you a better probability of making that good shot when wind or extended range is thrown into the mix. I truly believe that if you keep your shots inside the performance capabilities of the cartridge you are shooting you should have decent effectiveness on those less than perfect shots that most of us end up making at one time or another.

I was raised by a grandfather and father who always said if you can't kill it the first shot you dont shoot. Less than Perfect shots mean wounded animals lost game and ruined hunts.......and in my humble opinion anything less than perfect is unethical bullet selection aside. I've never lost an animal the farthest any of them have gone after the shot was 3 steps.

I believe that in hunting you really should worry about the ethical shot to cleanly humanly kill the animal not the prayer shot you hope will kill the animal. I missed out on a monster mule deer buck (180-200") because I couldn't be 100% sure I could make the clean kill. Because of the way he was standing and then he moved into the mahogany. Never saw him again. Sounds petty to pass a buck up like that based on the way he was standing. But that's how its done in our house.....you don't have the ideal shot you don't shoot. these variables can be tough at 300 yards. Then at 1000 yards those variables are amplified so bullet selection becomes crucial for good penetration and lethality. bergers are just match bullets marketed as a hunting bullets. The only difference is the color of the box they come in. as I have started in other threads to each there own. Choose wisely.

I shoot the 210g vld's in a 300 RUM. I shot a small mule deer buck this year at about 200 yards. Admittedly, I was not very comfortable with the gun yet as I had just purchased it within the last month. My first shot was about a foot back. This bullet did not punch all the way through the deer. 86 g worth of bullet was stuck under the fur on the opposite side. My second shot hit just in front of the right shoulder and exited through the opposite shoulder leaving a grapefruit size hole. (Not proud of my shooting shooting)!! Either way, the deer did not walk 10 yards after the first shot and died immediately after the second. Took about 1 minute between shots.
I am running 96.6g Retumbo powder at about 2950fps.
I think they perform just fine. I will repost results after elk season and, I hopefully get an elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.