Berger seating depth ladder opinions

If it were me, of your most consistent shots, I would work up to pressure and then fine tune with seating. I too have found that seating depth changed with charges weights and different powders. Different combos effecting harmonics I guess.

For mine with the 215, I loaded to max mag length for reliability. Put me at .060" off and then loaded up. Got to 77 gr H1000 in Norma brass with CCI250. That's a Rem 700 5R.

My Ruger at mag length is 3.335" to fit mag (don't even know how far that is off lands). That is within book loads and it shot a little less than a MOA.

My point is with regards to seating depth and the 215 is they are pretty forgiving at least that I have found.

Like any other rifle, not all bullets shoot in all barrels well.

I did several seating depth test with the 215 bergers and 300wm and found a couple spots that seem to be sweet spots. .005 to .015 all shoot good groups then my very tightest groups came at .040 off.

I need more time to test and be certain but what it looks like to me is .040 gives best accuracy but .005-.015 is a more forgiving window, meaning I can seat at .005, .010 and .015 off and not see a difference on target.

I also think if I made some fine adjustment of .003 up and down from .010 off i could find a spot where it shot just as good as .040 off. Just need more time to test.

My 300 wm shoots those 215 Bergers sub half moa. Load is 77.9gr h1000, federal 215m, loaded very long @.006 off. This is on the hot side, so don't start there.
When developing a load, I try to determine the seating depth first, then powder charge. Generally work in groups of 10 thousandths and 90% of max max load. Never had much luck with cci and Winchester primers.
Barnes and accubond LR seem to like the jump. Standard cup/core 10-30 off. Bergers often tight to the lands.
Good luck.

Since Norma has two case weights for 300 Win Mag, how much do your new Norma cases weigh?

I finally got around to weighing these, 214.-218 gns with average 216.9

Also I never subtracted .308 from my group sizes not that it matters a whole bunch but puts mb better goups well under 1/2 MOA at 200. I have heard so much conflicting info on OCW vs seating depth and what to do first. I think im gonna use this time to experiment with seating depth first (while I save up for a labradar) and once I have an idea what that does go back and find OCW. Find OCW and see if I then I have to fine tune seating depth again. It's summer and I don't have much going on so may as well play around with things and see what makes a difference and what doesnt.

You should probably measure groups from center to center (outside diameter minus .308,
1.047" group at 100 yards is one moa) just so everyone is speaking the same language.

I usually take my C-C measurement (at say 200) yards and divide by 2 and multiply by .95 , it works well at any distance .

Yea I don't know what I was thinking I just took outside to outside and forgot to subtract the .308, so my 1' group was actualy .692. The only reason I even brought it it up is this is a factory rifle with bedding and a aftermarket trigger. I just don't know how much more I can reasonably expect. Anyway it's a good one to play around with and see how much seating depth will affect things before and after finding ocw.

No. I have refined my load process since this thread. I start just off the lands then do a a velocity ladder find the flat spot. From there I run a seating depth test going 10 deeper shooting groups at 300 yards. Usually 5 shot groups give you a good idea of what depth it likes. Then I will load 5 thou on either side of the best depth and try again. If it's still not where I want I will play with neck tension. I found the hybrids in my 6br/dashers 280 ai 300 win mags all like to be ran right at the lands or 20 thou off very consistently.

I honestly don't remember, I'm sure I wrote the cbto measurement in the book, I will try to look it up if that will help you.

on your other Question I would start around 2 grains below max and do 1/2 grain increases until you find your max load for your rifle. Then decide if you want to dial in your powder charge or do a bullet seating depth first. I do my powder first using ocw ladders and looking for flats spots in the velocity over my labradar. Then I do my seating depth test with my optimal charge weight. For my rifle 75 grains was quite a bit below my max charge if my memory was correct. I would see no need to drop your powder charge to adjust seating depth unless maybe you were at a max charge with the bullet off the lands and wanted to try a hard jam.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.