Berger Hybrid Seating Depth

DZelenka

Is there any consensus concerning seating depth for the Berger Hybrids? I am shooting a 7 SAUM with the 180s. I loaded them .010" off of the lands, but wanted to know if people are finding more jump to be a better starting point.

Thanks

Dan

They've got so many variations now, I can't keep track.

But, I've had good results with the OTM's.

I started the 230 OTMs at .010 jump and that seemed to suit my 300wm just fine.

I started .010 jump with the 175 OTMs in a friend's 308. It was ok. But, we later tried .020, .025, .030, .035, .040.

.030, .035, and .040. were tight and consistent. So, we settled on .035 jump.

-- richard

I didn't know the hybrids were seating depth insensitive when I got the first offered, the .338 300 gr OTM hybrids. I seated them to kiss the rifling with a perfect square imprint from rifling. They still shoot fine from my long throated 338 RCM.

Next I seated some 105 6mm hybrid target set at max OAL to fit and feed from a 6mm-284 SA with wyatt's mag box which had the bullets .065" from rifling. Worked up an accurate load with first range session never moving the bullet's position.

Next was the .308 168 hybrid target seated for max OAL to fit and feed from my wyatt's mag box altered push feed model 70 in 300 RUM. Used same powder and bracketed the charge that worked with the 168 Sierra Matchkings. I loaded two bullets for each powder charge just to see what would happen while at the 200 yd range. I was very surprized to see that two of the three charge weights had the bullets touching! I never shot the load again will most likely use those bullets in a 308 win.

Next was the .308 230 gr hybrid target bullet in the same 300 RUM. Again I started out with max OAL to fit and feed from magazine box. Found best performing load then tweaked the seating depth deeper to tighten up the groups.

I am impressed that all bullets tried shot well. So one had to have seating depth tweaked, no big deal. At least all bullets shot well something I cannot say about trying VLDs. VLDs have been troublesome by comparison with many rifles refusing to shoot them well at all.

Cannot recommend a specific seating depth to start.....

The whole point of hybrids is 'length tolerance' without the full price in BC of tangent ogives. But I like Richard's approach to finding what is actually the best seating depth for YOUR barrel/chamber.

Even fully forgiving tangent bullets shoot 'best'(as in better than good enough) at one or two depths. It pays to find em

In 7WSM with the 168 grain Classic Hunters, I tried both H1000 and Retumbo all at
.010" from touching lands. Repeatable ragged hole groups at .010" off with the H1000, I never even tried other lengths. And I experimented with the 168VLD first, but the Hybrids easily shoot consistently better in my gun.

Ya, I think everyone ought to be pretty excited about the hybrid lines they have coming out. With their equally good BC's and less sensitivity to seating depth, they should be very popular. I personally am excited about the entire elite hunter line that is soon to be released in more than just the 338.

Scot E.

When I first tried em they shot well, under moa for every powder charge and primer, last thing I did was try seating depth and they all shot at 1/2moa or just under, so I figured WTH and loaded em up to work in my mag. Absolutely the easiest bullets to work with I ever seen, with the one exception being the matrix bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.