Berger Reloading Data for 338's

D.Camilleri

Berger has reloading data available for free download on their website. I was a bit surprised how conservative the loads are. There is also a good read attached from Brian Litz about oal and how extending it allows for reduced pressure, more velocity and more powder. I was a little surprised to see that myself and most of us here are 7 or 8 grains of powder over their recommended max on 300 grain pills.

Berger has reloading data available for free download on their website. I was a bit surprised how conservative the loads are. There is also a good read attached from Brian Litz about oal and how extending it allows for reduced pressure, more velocity and more powder. I was a little surprised to see that myself and most of us here are 7 or 8 grains of powder over their recommended max on 300 grain pills.

I have heard that many manufacturer's data sets have evolved to be much more conservative over a few decades presumably due to litigation liability. However, one might also presume that it may be due to the evolution of more efficient powders. I can't speak from any personal knowledge, but simply spewing info I have read out there. In my own case, I have had some Nosler loads produce higher velocity than what the manual shows it should being about the max velocity when I am loading for the mid range and also resulting in a tight bolt. That being the case, I would have no intention of going to the max on that specific load. That being said, I measure every single case and the powder digitally to eliminate any danger. Of course, if you have guys have a working load and it has been safe, can't argue with that, but you can certainly see why a manufacturer would be conservative in their figures.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.