Berger HUNTING Bullets

I'm not sure what everyone's definition of blowing up is but this entry hole was over 3 inches out of a 30'06 at 150 yards. 168 grain Berger. The fragments didn't make it to the offside lung. That is a blow up at entry IMO.

To be fair it was a very big bull and his hide was thick and tough but still...

I am pretty much done with any light to mid weight bullets from Berger. Just seen too many issues with them. I am going to try the 210-215 grain weights in 30 cal and see how I like them. All of the great results I have seen or read about here and on other forums are from the heavy weight stuff. I think everyone would be better off moving toward the heavier stuff from Berger. The extra weight helps ensure expansion while also having more weight to get good penetration. They just make it way less likely to have issue IMO.

Scot E.

IMG_1289.jpg

Thanks for sharing that photo. Nasty. If more members posted their photos and stories, we'd all have greater opportunity to see, read, learn - benefit. If the photos, stories, and examples don't get posted because of fear of counterattack on the Forum, we lose the learning opportunity. I don't shoot enough game animals on an annual basis to ever learn what can be learned collectively. And the bullet manufacturers? How better for them to identify performance related issues than by seeing the results of their products in use? This provides them the opportunity to identify underperformance issues sooner, rather than later, in their manufacturing cycle. We've seen this very process play out in the past with new bullet introductions. It was the information from the end users that sent the manufacturer back to revisit and modify the bullet design/construction.

Scot E;
You stated "the extra weight helps ensure expansion". I don't understand that statement (unless you meant the additional weight helps retain downrange bullet velocity necessary for bullet expansion at extreme long range impacts), but I know the extra weight will slow muzzle velocity to help reduce the odds of an explosive impact splatter at closer ranges. The higher the impact velocity, the greater the odds of these impact splatters, particularly with highly frangible, fragmenting bullets. And it only makes sense that bullets beginning life with longer shafts of lead core should improve the odds that the rear-most lead core will survive sufficiently intact to help ensure deeper penetrations.

bigngreen has stressed avoiding the shoulders on elk. I advise avoiding the shoulders on all large game animals you intend to eat with frangible bullets, when possible. Not only to minimize meat loss, but also because any bullet that does fragment upon impact is more apt to reach the lungs if only passing thru the thinner layer of rib meat, compared to passing thru thicker shoulder meat and/or bone. In other words, increase the odds of favorable bullet performance.

Target the ribs with the highly frangible, fragmenting VLDs. They are not designed for deep penetration, compared to many other bullets that have been developed over the years. No matter the fact that someone, somewhere, will identify an example of undesired performance from any specific bullet. I'm betting on the averages, both when selecting a bullet, and when selecting shot placement, knowing that I could still suffer an undesireable surprise.

This Thread began with a member posting his experiences of bullets failing to expand, which I consider the more troublesome mode of underperformance. Because there's very little I can do to offset that mode of failure, other than cross my fingers and hope the bullet tumbles on thru the vitals. Now the Thread's transitioned into some of these frangible bullets coming unglued upon entry side impact. There's a recently posted photo of a Mule deer buck shot with a 280 AI, 168gr VLD that also splattered on the entry side. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/3rd-season-colorado-163211/ This buck stood back up 1 1/2 hours after being shot, because the bullet failed to penetrate sufficiently. Shot location was clearly into the vitals, but somewhat into the shoulder meat, based on the photo. Normally a killing shot with any expanding bullet that penetrates. Not a killing shot if the bullet lets go upon impact on the entry side hide and fails to reach into the boiler room.

And the All-Time Beyond Belief incident is SHRTSHTR's 300gr OTM on the doe antelope at ~800yds - this at a significantly reduced impact velocity. Worst luck EVER.

If you want to target the tougher, thicker front shoulders on close range, high velocity impacting shots, shoot a controlled expansion bullet. At least some portion of those bullets may penetrate into the vital organs. And the complimentary benefit is, you'll waste less shoulder meat.

So how to proceed into the unknown? The unknown of will I bump into the targeted game up close, or far away. I'm a broken record. Play the odds to your favor and benefit. Carry cartridges loaded with two different bullets. One better suited for each potential opportunity. It works very well.

Yeah sorry. I was typing quickly on my phone before I had to leave for town and meant to go back and clarify my point.

What you stated is basically what I meant. My point was simply that heavier bullets help with expansion at most all distances which like you stated was the main issue being addressed by the OP for bullets that don't expand. The only issue is then the front side blow up which again I think weight gives you an advantage here too in that you at least have a chance for the heavier fragments to still reach the vitals. I was basically just making that point that from a terminal standpoint in my mind there is zero downside to a heavy for caliber bullet vs its medium or light weight counterparts and with the issues being seen I think it would be wise to just err on the side of heavy bullets and deal with increased recoil, bullet drop, etc. That or change bullets.

Also FWIW, That bullet didn't hit any shoulder. The angle my son shot and the way he was standing, the bullet went right past any shoulder or shoulder meat. It was a complete blowup on the hide. It did hit part of a rib going in but as you can see the blowup happened even earlier than the rib. This was even more apparent when I was breaking him down. Also, the bullet was traveling about 2575 FPS which is well within any parameters of needing to be concerned about too much velocity IMO.

Scot E.

Also FWIW, That bullet didn't hit any shoulder. The angle my son shot and the way he was standing, the bullet went right past any shoulder or shoulder meat. It was a complete blowup on the hide. It did hit part of a rib going in but as you can see the blowup happened even earlier than the rib. This was even more apparent when I was breaking him down. Also, the bullet was traveling about 2575 FPS which is well within any parameters of needing to be concerned about too much velocity IMO.

Scot E.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply your bullet struck the shoulder. I wasn't certain from your photo so I didn't speak to that. The mule deer buck - the bullet strike looks a bit farther forward into the shoulder meat.

Thank goodness your bullet wasn't into the shoulder. Might not have been enough bullet left to show us a photo, and to get the job done. An overambitious expanding bullet into the ribs stands the better chance of delivering a quick kill, compared to that same bullet having to plow thru shoulder meat/bone. That's the concept I support, and practice. In fact, I'll error away from the shoulder meat, rather than into it. If the bullet expands, the animals I've shot just back from the shoulder are killed quickly & humanely.

I don't shoot the shoulder shot either. I enjoy wild game meat, especially elk meat, way too much!lightbulb

Rhian,

He went quite a ways. Not sure how far. 1/2 a mile maybe. Luckily there was snow and he had huge tracks and there was decent blood to follow. We got lucky to be honest. It would have been really tough to recover him if there wasn't snow. My son told me he hit him perfectly, which he did and there was a lot of blood at least for tracking on snow. An easy follow. I was expecting to find him piled up just a short ways from the shot so I sent him back with the gun to grab the packs. We should have put another one in him but it was pitch dark when I finally got on him. He was bedded and breathing poorly. I opted to back out and go find my son. By the time that was done he had expired.

Scot E.

He was that wet. Part from snow maybe, it had been snowing that day. But mostly from running cows and running away from us. We chased him over 3 canyons to finally get him to take a stand. He was pretty worked up.

It was a pretty straight forward broadside shot with just a slight quartering to but I mean slight. I was about 75 yards behind him and witnessed the whole thing.

I don't shoot the shoulder shot either. I enjoy wild game meat, especially elk meat, way too much!lightbulb

Rhian,

He went quite a ways. Not sure how far. 1/2 a mile maybe. Luckily there was snow and he had huge tracks and there was decent blood to follow. We got lucky to be honest. It would have been really tough to recover him if there wasn't snow. My son told me he hit him perfectly, which he did and there was a lot of blood at least for tracking on snow. An easy follow. I was expecting to find him piled up just a short ways from the shot so I sent him back with the gun to grab the packs. We should have put another one in him but it was pitch dark when I finally got on him. He was bedded and breathing poorly. I opted to back out and go find my son. By the time that was done he had expired.

Scot E.

Crazy he went that far and you should have shot him again. Thanks for sharing the story.

The shot would have been with my side arm as my son had the rifle as wasn't close enough. Not impossible but not ideal either considering I didn't want to get any closer and didn't want to risk him taking off again and running another half mile if I didn't make a perfect shot in the dark with iron sights at a bull bedded in some pines and brush.

Where we probably should have shot again was when he was initially standing after the shot. He ran 50-75 yards and then stood and swayed a bit like he was going to fall. I could see the shot and it looked perfect. I had no idea then the bullet had failed. I have been very lucky that up to this point all of my rifle kills had been one and done type scenarios on elk. 1 shot with a short to zero tracking scenario.

Scot E.

I will add $0.02 to the conversation. I have been waging war within myself on the use of the Berger Hunting bullets. They shoot well and they kill well, when I do my part to aim. I have never had a failure, just one change of situation that I wish I had a slight more solid bullet. I live and hunt in AK so bears are a real situation. In a very tense situation the Bergers left me asking the bullet to do what it wasn't designed to do (break heavy bones and deep penetration). I have had some marvelous success with them as well. They have been very authoritative on deer, goats, and caribou.

I have attached pictures from a caribou I shot a few years back. I shot it with custom Remington 700 308 win. Berger 168 gr hunting VLD, MV ~2650. The distance was 610 yards. I too prefer the flavor of the wild game so meat conservation is usually high on the priority. I made my best guesses on wind( slight snow helped a ton) dialed elevation and when I had a clear shot I let it fly. Some stroke of luck the bullet passed between two ribs in the crease of the shoulder on the way in and between the ribs on the way out. The exit side is shown in the carcass picture. The exiting bullet did "fracture" one rib, but all pieces of bone were there. This was a pure soft tissue pass through. The lungs and top of the heart were absolutely obliterated from rapid expansion. The caribou did not take a single step and bled out right into the snow. I was absolutely thrilled with the meat loss (about 3lbs of rib meat) and with the DRT performance. The bullets was traveling about 1600 fps when it hit and performed flawlessly.

I realize not all situations will turn out like this 1/1000 chance shot. I prefer big slow bullets. I often use a 375 H&H or a 338 lapua with 300 grs. Both are "slowerish" rounds and seem to provide more than adequate authority and minimal meat damage. They seem to cover for me when when a lot of horsepower is needed without being able to provide perfect shots(thinking close quarters bear combat)

Thanks guys enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• 20130216_150317.jpg
    20130216_150317.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20130216_150328.jpg
    20130216_150328.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20130218_102728.jpg
    20130218_102728.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 107
I have been waging war within myself on the use of the Berger Hunting bullets. They shoot well and they kill well, when I do my part to aim. I have never had a failure, just one change of situation that I wish I had a slight more solid bullet. I live and hunt in AK so bears are a real situation. In a very tense situation the Bergers left me asking the bullet to do what it wasn't designed to do (break heavy bones and deep penetration). I have had some marvelous success with them as well. They have been very authoritative on deer, goats, and caribou.

I realize not all situations will turn out like this 1/1000 chance shot. I prefer big slow bullets. I often use a 375 H&H or a 338 lapua with 300 grs. Both are "slowerish" rounds and seem to provide more than adequate authority and minimal meat damage. They seem to cover for me when a lot of horsepower is needed without being able to provide perfect shots(thinking close quarters bear combat)

Thanks guys enjoy the photos.

Nice shot!

No need to struggle on the Berger bullet dilemma. You've already figured it out. Just need to break out of the one-bullet-fits-all mold/mindset. The mental struggles are a consequence of your understanding that there really are bullets better designed and suited for differing game/predators under differing engagements commonly encountered afield.

Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Nosler Accubonds, Hornady Interbonds, Barnes TSX and TTSX, and other bullets in the larger calibers designed/intended to expand while retaining a portion of their weight to ensure deeper penetration for the closer range encounters on animals equipped with tooth, claw, antlers, hooves that might want to fight rather than run. Those are the bullets I bet my life on for life and death bear encounters. I won't increase the odds of suffering a surface splatter on dangerous predators at close range.

Then select an accurate high BC bullet you're confident will expand reliably at longer range engagements - at lower impact velocities, where optimum shot selection and placement is more commonly possible, and thus stouter bullet construction is less mandatory and a lesser priority.

In the relatively short period of time I've shot Berger bullets (say 7 years), compared to many other bullets I've used since the early 1970s, I've experienced a greater frequency of extreme performance at both ends of the spectrum of bullet performance on large game from the Berger style bullet. My experience, and it's becoming clear the experiences of at least some others, has been a higher frequency of non-expanders, and a higher frequency of shallow penetration blowups. I've concluded that the vast majority of expanding bullet designs are susceptible to these performance failures. I've personally experienced non-expanding bullet performance with a Berger VLD, and Nosler Ballistic Tips. Perfect performance may simply be too high of a standard/expectation. Doesn't mean I don't want the odds in my favor, and that I won't seek, and gravitate toward the most consistent performers.

And I say this while proclaiming I'm using meplat uniformed and countersunk Bergers - solely - at this time, for all of my long range hunting in Alaska. I wouldn't use them if I didn't think they weren't currently a very good option for my selective application. If I get any failures to expand with the tip-tweaked Bergers I've been using with good results over the past 3-4 seasons, I'm adaptable, and I'm apt to move on. Not because I expect perfect performance 100% of the time. I'll go with the bullet I believe provides the higher percentage of positive performances.

My own opinion is that tipped bullets are more reliable initiaters of expansion than the VLD, SMK style bullets with their jackets closed down to the small leading tip/meplat diameter. I continually browse the Forums looking for the tipped bullet for long range shots that develops the best reputation for sufficient accuracy, and reliable expansion at the lower impact velocities - without regard to their performance on game 10yds off my muzzle. I could care less about their terminal performance at close range, under high velocity impacts. I'll be loading and using other bullets that I believe are best suited for that opposite end of the spectrum application. However, should I feel the need to move on to a different long range bullet, I want to know - already - which bullet that will be.

Last edited:
This is a pic of a 180 grain Berger shot from a 7lrm. The bullet was recovered from the opposite side of entrance just under the hide of a bull elk. The distance was a tad over 650 yards. Weight retention was approximately 62%. Bullet did what it was suppose to do. I have taken several animals with Bergers in various calibers without any failures.

e583deab735bf259d337cf2a74c5ac0b_zpsguatgk7g.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.