berger hunting/target bullets

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by midwesthunter, Feb 27, 2012.

1. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Has anyone shot same weight bullet/caliber for both of these? I was wondering if you loaded some target bullets, if you could use same data for the hunting bullet? I just got a bunch of target bullets for dirt cheap.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have shot both in my 6.5x284's. In the 140VLD the weight and BC is the same. They also shoot the same. I have heard that the jacket of the hunting bullet is thinner as to give better expansion characteristics.

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I know the 7mm 180's and the .308 210 VLD's do. Done it many times.

Jeff

4. 7stw

7stw Well-Known Member

Yup, been there, done that. Ordered some Berger 168 VLD orange box bullets last spring. When I went to pick them up, they were yellow. I took them anyhow, and he got me the correct ones. When they arrived, I loaded and tested them against the match bullets. They shot the same. P/ S, don't accidentally take them hunting with you like I did. I took some on a crop damage hunt last summer, and had to track one over 4 hundred yds. And that was just to see what the damage was, and why it ran so far. Then the light came on, and I realized that I had brought some of the first batch which was the match bullets. Take care and enjoy!
    AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7STW lightbulb

5. timmay

timmay Well-Known Member

I dont think what you heard is right about the jacket of the hunting vld being thinner.
    I cross sectioned a target vld and hunting vld to compair and the jacket on the hunting vld is slightly thicker but has a much more pronounced air pocket/void at the tip.
    The target vld has a small open space kinda like a match king but the hunting vld is like 4-5 times greater open tip space.
    Maybe this must help with the more consistent opening/fragmenting abilities? Id like to do some ballistic comparisons with them in the very near future.

Ill see if I can post some pictures of the cross sections I did so you can see the difference

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Thanks. I would be interested in seeing the pictures if you can post them. I can't remember where I heard that the jacket was thinner, I think it was on this site.

7. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

The jackets on the hunting are the original thickness, the target is thicker to take the velocity and extended rate of fire in a match.

8. timmay

timmay Well-Known Member

Ive heard all kinds of different things, thats why I cut them open to find out.
    I just took some pictures, Ill try to load them up
    But what I heard from a reliable source is that Berger changed the hunting vld jacket because the original was fragmenting too much or too soon so they made the jacket a little more stout. I dont know if that means thicker or just stronger but it looks to me like the hunting vld jacket is a little thicker

9. bigngreen

10. timmay

timmay Well-Known Member

Here are some pics They are from a cell phone, also my cross sectioning skills arent the greatest. Also these are two different grain sizes but both 30 cal. The tall one is 210 grain target vld, the shorter one is the hunting vld 168 grain. I dont know if this will make a difference. I would think they would use the exact same jacket composition in each caliber
    no matter the weight. So assuming they do, then it shouldnt matter comparing 210gr to 168 gr...but I dont know for sure....anyways see if you think the vld hunting looks thicker?
    Dont know why my phone downloads pics to the computer sideways but I cant figure out how to turn them upright....sorry

Attached Files:

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

timmay,

The ~ .005 of an inch difference as noted by Bryan below is hard to tell from your cross-section picture of the bullets.

[​IMG]
    Left: 210gr target VLD
    Right:168gr hunting VLD

12. timmay

timmay Well-Known Member

Thanks for fixing the pic. I'm going to try to clean up the cut bullets and get a better picture but when looking at them in person the hunting vld looks thicker to me but the obvious difference is the void at the tip

13. bigngreen

What I've found works the best to get an actual # is to mill them then peal the lead out and clean up the edged that will be smeared and burred and measure them. If you cut them any lower or higher than dead center you'll be cutting across the diagonal of the jacket and it will look much thicker.

14. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

The only difference I have seen with the ones I tried (7mm 180gr) is that at 500 yards the target bullet puts a deeper crater in my steel plate. Leads me to believe that the .005" jacket thickness makes it a significantly tougher bullet.