berger bullets

plumeja

Before i get linked to the sticky i read it and a few others that i found around the web. what i dont get about the jam and jumping is that this is something that needs a special measuring tool. there isnt really a way to do this with out it? I just dont want to start loading these rounds and do something terrible. i got the vld target bullets and would like to learn how to load them but i just dont want to spend a bunch more money on a new tool right yet.

Before i get linked to the sticky i read it and a few others that i found around the web. what i dont get about the jam and jumping is that this is something that needs a special measuring tool. there isnt really a way to do this with out it? I just dont want to start loading these rounds and do something terrible. i got the vld target bullets and would like to learn how to load them but i just dont want to spend a bunch more money on a new tool right yet.

Use a cleaning rod with a jag and sand or grind the jag end flat. Run the rod down the barrel until it is resting flat against the bolt face (make sure firing pin is cocked). Place a piece of tape around the rod at the muzzle here. Then place the bullet in the barrel and use a pencil or something long and skinny to hold the bullet into the lands. Use the cleaning rod with jag and the pencil to move the bullet back and forth feeling where the lands start. When you think you found the spot place another piece of tape around the rod. Measure between your two tape marks and that is where you need to seat that same bullet to in a piece of brass. The sweet spot is supposed to be .03-.04" wide so this will get you close without adding any additional tools beyond what you should have on hand to reload. Just make sure when you set your die for each length you use that same bullet you used to find the lands. Perform this measurement independent of other measurements multiple times making sure your numbers generally agree with one another.

There are several ways to get a rough estimate as to how far your bullet is from the lands. But measuring from anywhere other than the ogive amounts to a SWAG and IMO that's no way to load with a high degree of accuracy in mind. May as well use factory ammo.
A Hornady OAL gauge will run you about thirty bucks.
Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action
You'll spend another fifteen bucks on an OAL gauge modifide case and a bushing; for fifty bucks you're all done.
Of course, you'll need a good pair of calipers but that too should be a standard tool at the reloading bench.
It's a tool you will use again and again for years to come.

There are several ways to get a rough estimate as to how far your bullet is from the lands. But measuring from anywhere other than the ogive amounts to a SWAG and IMO that's no way to load with a high degree of accuracy in mind. May as well use factory ammo.
A Hornady OAL gauge will run you about thirty bucks.
Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action
You'll spend another fifteen bucks on an OAL gauge modifide case and a bushing; for fifty bucks you're all done.
Of course, you'll need a good pair of calipers but that too should be a standard tool at the reloading bench.
It's a tool you will use again and again for years to come.

I wish i could get these tools as all you guys in the states can. everything here in canada is a whole lot more. i need an american friend to mail me all the things a want to me. but even with our dollar so weak it works out to the same right now

Guess I'm old school. Had a gent teach me this trick over 30 years ago. Take a fire formed case, knock the primer out, long seat a bullet with no primer, no powder and smoke the bullet with a match (bic lighter). Slide the beast in the pipe and close the bolt, you will see where the lands contact the smoke on the bullet when ejected, if the land grab and pull the bullet you will seen the line in the smoke where it pulled the bullet from the case. Works every time. I own the hornady gauges but seem to be a bit of a pain

Use a cleaning rod with a jag and sand or grind the jag end flat. Run the rod down the barrel until it is resting flat against the bolt face (make sure firing pin is cocked). Place a piece of tape around the rod at the muzzle here. Then place the bullet in the barrel and use a pencil or something long and skinny to hold the bullet into the lands. Use the cleaning rod with jag and the pencil to move the bullet back and forth feeling where the lands start. When you think you found the spot place another piece of tape around the rod. Measure between your two tape marks and that is where you need to seat that same bullet to in a piece of brass. The sweet spot is supposed to be .03-.04" wide so this will get you close without adding any additional tools beyond what you should have on hand to reload. Just make sure when you set your die for each length you use that same bullet you used to find the lands. Perform this measurement independent of other measurements multiple times making sure your numbers generally agree with one another.

Excellent suggestion. I would add that when you see small square marks near fattest part of on he bullet, that will mean it is touching the lands. Measure those with your caliper and write them down. You should jam or jump from that point. Also, rub the bullet with 0000 steel wool before starting the test.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.