Berger Bullet for 300 W.M.

Moman

For those of you using the Berger VLD bullets, what weights are you using in the 300 Win Mag? I have used the Scirrocco's and Accubonds in 180gr with pretty good results. I understand that the VLD has a high B.C. but is it a strong hunting bullet for Elk sized game?:eek:

If I were shooting a 300 Win I'd shoot the 210gr Berger , it has a very high BC and is an accurate bullet. As for shooting Elk with it , well it ain't no Accubond thats for sure , if the shots are gonna be at long range say past 600yds it should do well if you stay off the shoulder on entrance. The Bergers work well when the impact speeds are a bit lower than those found at conventional ranges making them ideal for long range hunting.

The Berger bullets use a tnin jacket and a soft lead alloy for the core where the Sierra Match Kings have a bit thicker jacket and supposedly a little tougher alloy for the core. Sierra is now making a 210gr bullet and is said to be very competive with the Berger BC wise , but the more stout construction would lend itself more to bigger game.

The 220gr Sierra Match King is another great long range bullet

There's a thread discussing Berger Terminal Ballistics. I'd try anything from the Berger 175 to 210gr as mentioned. Bullet selection also depends on how far you're willing to shoot your elk. The lighter bullets will have superior ballistics at closer range.

We like them

Hello,

My friends and I have been talking about the Berger VLD for some time as a hunting bullet. Last year I tested the 168 VLD in my 300 Wby Mag and had good results. With only having used it for one year my input is limited but I can tell you this: We took two 13 year old girls elk hunting in AZ with that gun and both made one shot kills. One at 385 yds, just infront of the shoulder and it folded up. The other one at 450 just behind the shoulder, center of cavity made about 6 steps before tumbling. Neither shot, "blood shot" hardly any meat but yet the wound channel was consitant with all the research done with this bullet. I realize that these shots are not at the long range that you were asking about but, our results with two young girls behind the gun was very possitive for this bullet in my eyes. The 168 VLD appears to have what it takes to ground check an elk and I am looking forward to using it more in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.