Berger 180 VLD vs 195 EOL

MAYDAY15

I have been in search of 195 EOL's going on a year with no luck any where. The 180 VLD's come up for grabs here and there so my question is what everyone thinks of the 180's for a 28 Nosler instead of the 195's. I dont currently have a 28 but i am working on getting the components to put one together.

I'm bankin on the 180 HT myself, collected quite a few lately.
Going to give the PRC a fair shot with them when I get it back.
That bullet seems ideal, I don't know if I've got the HP with that cartridge for a 195.

I have been in search of 195 EOL's going on a year with no luck any where. The 180 VLD's come up for grabs here and there so my question is what everyone thinks of the 180's for a 28 Nosler instead of the 195's. I dont currently have a 28 but i am working on getting the components to put one together.
Another vote for using the 180 hybrid over the vld. And they have been in stock lately. Here are a few other options too at a quick look, that would be better imho also. Though I personally dont know anyone that has used the 184's on game, but I'm sure with a quick search you can find some person who did.

Are these responses based on target shooting or hunting? I am building a 7PRC and have been considering these options as well. Primary purpose is hunting so based on Berger site, I was between the 180 VLD and 195 EOL.

With the HT having a tougher jacket than the EH, I intend to use them for both.
My options were 175EH vs 180 HT and I'm going to go with 180

The 180 VLD did not group well in my 7stw but I was using rl25. On game performance was fine but limited at the time to Antelope. The 195/N570 combo works very well for me now, it's the magic combo for a 28N.
The 195 EOL have been somewhat attainable lately, I bought 500 in Sept, another 500 count box 3 days ago, and Powder Valley had some yesterday although only a handful of 100 count. I suspect they will be available next week from others.

Last edited:
I've not used either enough to have one, I'm learning on the fly with pigs and whitetail, paper and steel.
And a lot of experienced peoples help.

180 hunting vld failed in on game performance for me from my STW with just over 3000 fps muzzle velocity.
Several animals, multiple shots and similar results of over expansion and not enough penetration. Too much speed for that bullet until it slows down quite a bit. I never found the speed it would start to perform acceptably at.
I have 195s to try next and if my twist is too slow will drop to the 190 or 184.
You want and need the thicker hybrid jacket in a 28N unless you only plan to shoot game starting 3-400 yards and beyond.
Petey308 has some really good threads on here analyzing bullet construction and preferred impact velocity. He talks about the Berger jackets a fair amount. Recommend you look those up

In the 28 Nosler I shoot 195's. I like the BC characteristics of the bullet. I do drill the tips slightly. 3,100 out of the muzzle makes for a very very flat killing bullet. Not downing the 180 hybrid or 175 elite. I use them both. Never had any failures out of any of them. I use the 180 hybrids out of my saums and recently started using the 175 with awesome game results. The 28 nosler is a NASCAR race car and love it for long range hunting and its big brother 30 Nosler with 245's.

If you need some 195's I can send you some out of my 500 packs.

I will add this but I have never proven it different nor ever dispute his experience but Broz says after a butt load of kills from elk herd controlling hunts the vld out performed the hybrid on effectiveness of kills.

Last edited:

Recent Posts