7rem mag berger vld 168 vs 180

dariuszczyszczon

I have been doing some load development for my new savage 7 rem mag model 116fhsak. Being using the berger 168 but wondering if anyone tried the 180 grain. The ballastic charts show me the the 180 should perform better but that is using charts but not real life tests.I did achieve a 3/8 group with the 168s http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/Hunting%20Bullets.html

Has anyone tried the 180 vld bullet and your results

Last edited:
I shot both for around a year each out of my 7 RM, rem 700 BDL 1 in 9.25" twist. It shot them both great with RL-22, win cases, Fed 215 primers, seated right at the lands. Used them both on deer with mixed results. Wont use either again.

The 168g at 2950fps blew up on a bucks shoulder at 618 yards. He was definately not out of it and I had to shoot him again in the neck to finish him off. My friend used my rifle/load the same hunt and shot his buck about 200 yards behind the shoulder. It exited leaving a good 2" hole and the deer went 10 feet and fell over dead. That was the only good performance I saw from them. It led me to believe the 168g was to fragile, so I moved on to the 180g thinking they would have less expansion, but obviously do enough to get the job done. The 180g at 2825fps pinholed through the shoulder on a buck at 100 yards. He stood there like nohthing happened and I shot him a 2nd time behind the shoulder. A few seconds later he tipped over dead. Both exits were pinsize holes and minimal internal damage was observed.

Both bullets are very accurate though and do a great job out to 1K. Walt specifically told me in an e-mail that the 168g is more then enough from the 7 mag and that the 180g was a little much, and better suited to the bigger 7's. I think he is right.

Either way, I'm going back to a plastic tip bullet for LR such as an AB, NBT, or SST. They've given me more predictable on game performance over the years then the VLD's and AMAX's have.

Shot over 500 168's. All at paper. Got some really good groups. .2, .3's and lots and lots of .4's. I kept the MV about 2960-3000. I found that above 3000 the groups weren't consistent.

So I switched to 180's. Good groups at 300 yrds. Less than an inch. I also kept the MV about 2950.

I'm gonna try the 180's this winter. I agree with Walt that the bigger 7's probably push the 180's better. Better MV to take advantage of the better BC. The recoil starts to get up there with the 180's as well.

Of interest the 168's like to be seated 80 thou off the lands while the 180's do better 10thou off.

Retumbo works good for both. 168's and 64g of RL 22 gave me a persoal best 100 yrd grouping of .211

64g RL-22 w/168g is also my load, good for 2950fps as well from my 24" bbl. It shoots 3/8" at 100, and would easily hold 3/4MOA to 800 yards. That was what I took my 618 yard buck with.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.