Bent recoil lug

robbor

I was just switching stocks on my factory savage 300 rum and noticed the
recoil lug is bent. It dawned on the the stock came loose last time at the range.
Are aftermarket lugs any harder than the factory ones? Its time for a new one.

I would say that 95% of the factory lugs are made from stamped steel rather than machined and they certainly are not surface ground , the stamping of the hole and cutting out the shape makes for a "bent" lug. Unless your shooting a REALY hard kicking caliber I highly doubt that you would bend a lug they will flex but to flex one enough to bend it it would either have to be made from dead soft material or take one hell of a shock.
The Sharp Shooters Suply lug is thicker , machined and surface ground to be strail and without taper the extra $25 is a good investment.

lug

I have a SSS lug on my 243. This is 300 rum and the lug was not noticeably bent before. Pretty amazing that it bent the lug but the mating area in the plastic stock looks fine. I see stockade make a .250" lug vs the SSS lug that is .240. Although i have an idea both lugs are made at the same place. I sent off an email to SSS about thicker lugs but need to break the nut loose and see how thick i can go.

as a gunsmith...

almost every savage I`ve seen has the recoil lug bent.(from 308 win up).

if interested in owning a nice shooting savage, please change the RL . and the thicker the better.

Joe

in route

Thanks guys, I ordered the .250 thick lug from Stockade. I was afraid if i went thicker it would not fit.

Stockade recoil lug

Well my stockade recoil lug showed up today, very fast. I figured id measure it just for the heck of it. My .250 recoil lug measures .230, son-of-#*&%. Also there are raised burrs on ground side of the hole for the barrel were it looks like it was deburred with a hand deburring tool after the grinding, and measures different than the flat portions of the lug.

To all reading this thread I have never heard of a rifle bending
the recoil lug and from what I now read they do.

I have never owned a savage but had thought about it more than
once , But I have shot quite a few big bores and have never bent
a lug on any of them.

Several of them produce over 70 ft/lbs of recoil (no brake) and have
not bent the lug.

I personaly dont like changing to a thicker lug without adding tenon
length at the shoulder to maintain full thread ingagement.

It would be interesting if someone would do a rockwell test on one of
these bent lugs.

This is a good question to talk more about.

Very interested
J E CUSTOM

lug

I dont have a rockwell tester available to me.
As far as the savage goes the factory lug is about .187 i want to say and you can only go so thick because of the nut tennon configuration on a stock barrel. If you had less tennon in the action it would change the headspace but because it has a nut you can go to a thicker lug as long as your nut will back off enough for the additional thickness. Im not wild about the savage because of the lack of material around the port area of the action to support a heavy barrel. If i go to a heavy barrel on this action i will be floating it and adding a barrel block.

The Savages will support a heavy barrel just fine. Never had any trouble with the recoil lugs from SSS, had several bent from factory though.

Bent Lug

Well I finally got off my butt and pulled the scope and front ring so i could break the barrel loose. Here is a pic of the bent lug. I did not quite get down low enough to really see how bent it is. As it turn out i can easily go to a .300 lug on this barrel and still have the edge of the nut meet right at the step on the barrel shank.
055.jpg

hopefully the pic works.
In advance, sorry so big. lol

robbor looking at the picture it looks like the lug was bent before the lug was installed on the rifle. I don't believe there is anyway possible it could have bent where it is bent from firing the rifle unless the barrel nut was loose. If the nut was tight then that area of the lug would have been supported by the nut and the receiver and it would have bent in the lower portion of the lug. Kind of like clamping something in a vise; you can beat on the exposed portion and bend the crap out of it, but the portion that is clamped the vise will remain straight. I believe that it was bent in the stamping process, either way its still bent. I'm glad you showed us the picture, this is the first bent lug I have ever seen.

David

That lug was bent before it was installed, theres no way the recoil could do that in that particular spot, the lug was supported by the action and the shoulder on the barrel. There should have been no room for any movement.

lug

The lug was not loose, as this was the first time i touched the nut on this rifle.
I have a pretty good eye and dont recall this before but Ive put almost no round through
this rifle. Looking at the lug the middle of the bend is in the bottom 1/3 or less of the hole
to me if it was from being stamped it would be centered across the hole or wavy around the edge. Anyways i wish savage had email so i could send them the pic. The stock this action is going into was bedded so removed the bedding and need to rebed with a good lug.

On a side note, when new, I fired a few primed pieces of fed brass and the primer popped out passed flush on these cases, way out probably over .020. I though that possibly the headspace was off. I asked over on 6mmbr and was told this was normal, no biggie. So I checked the head space when broke the barrel loose fired brass vs fully sized brass and it ended up right where it was supposed to be about .003-4. I never had pressure signs so i didnt worry. I will reduce this down to about .002 when i get my new lug.
Sorry got to go dinners ready

Anyways i wish savage had email so i could send them the pic.

Here you go, I stripped this from another thread.

How's this: if you get to a point where you need help or are frustrated with the service received, contact me directly. I have posted my contact information on other forums and offer my assistance to anyone that needs it. I answer all e-mails within 24 hours and if you don't get a response, I never received it (sometimes our firewall strips them out as spam). If you forward a phone number, I'll call you. Is that fair enough?

Joe DeGrande

Director Of Customer Service

Savage Arms, Inc.

413-568-7001 ext 4139

[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.