Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock Questions

bookworm

I'm looking to improve accuracy of a Rem. 700 SPS and am thinking I'll start with trigger adjust and a new stock.

I'm looking at a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock and I have a couple questions:

1) Is the aluminum bedding block a "full length" block that extends into the forearm and back a bit into the tail? I've seen some indication that this is how they are, but their documentation doesn't say much about it. In contrast, the HS Precision stock literature seems to make a big deal about this featue of their stocks.

2) Is it necessary or ideal to add any additional bedding material with this stock? If so, how does one go about additional bedding on a stock that is made to mate metal to metal - is there any room for additional bedding material?

From reading this seems like a good solid stock with good features for a reasonable price.

Anyone with thoughts on the above questions and/or other general thoughts about this stock compared to other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I was look at one to but every thing ive learned says that glass beding a conposit stock dont work it dont stay bonded vary good so what would be the uses I STAYING with wood for that reason only and looks of corse if some one can perswade me Iam open

I was look at one to but every thing ive learned says that glass beding a conposit stock dont work it dont stay bonded vary good so what would be the uses I STAYING with wood for that reason only and looks of corse if some one can perswade me Iam open

Bedding materials don't stick very well to injection molded stocks (like Remington factory stocks). But bedding materials stick very well to HS and B&C stocks.

While the manufacturers will tell you that bedding is not necessary with either the HS or B&C, the conventional wisdom (and some testing) has shown that bedding these stocks does improve their accuracy potential.

In terms of having enough space in the action to bed them, isn't that big an issue. The purpose of bedding is simply to fill in the gaps where the action and stock don't fit perfectly together.

Yes the B&C medalist stock does have a full bed that extends from behind the trigger guard all the way down to the end of the forearm just like the H&S. Another full bed stock that you might want to take a look at is the Hogue. I have both the H&S precision and the Hogue and as far as accuracy and strength I can't tell any difference. The Hogue is much less expensive than the B&C at Midway. The Hogue has an outside skin that is made out of the same rubber stuff their pistol grips are made out of. As for extra bedding I have not had to do anything to my stocks. I just bolted the rifle into them and they shoot lights out. If you do bed one it is just a light skim bedding. Oh! Hogue also offers just a pillar bed stock also that is much less expensive than the full bed stock. I like the stiffness of the full bed stocks myself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply RT. This is very helpful info.

When comparing your HS and Hogue I wonder if you could comment on the following:

- Does the Hogue block aslo extend back past the trigger guard?
- How does the Hogue compare to the HS in terms of stability and stiffness?
- How was the Hogue from a fit accuracy standpoint? I assume the barrel is free floated...were the gaps along the barrel channel pretty uniform?
- How do you like the rubber overmold in a stock? Is it pretty durable?

Thanks again for the reply.

The bedding block on the Hogue is like all the full bed stocks. They all surround the back tang screw behind the trigger guard and go to the tip of the forearm.
As to the durability of the Hogue stock rubber finish I really don't know because I just got my stock about a month ago but I have seen other people with them that are a few years old that look OK. The Hogue stock has a fiberglass skeleton overmolded with the rubber coating. As for fit I got the LA varmint stock because the rifle I put in it is a Rem 700 magnum action with a #4 Shilen magnum sporter barrel in 264 Win Mag. This barrel is a bit heavier than a standard magnum barrel. There is between 1/16 & 1/8 inch clearance between the barrel and forearm and it is uniform on both sides all the way down, and yes these stocks are free floated. I like the feel of the rubber, it is warm like a wood stock but stable like a glass stock. The action fits like a glove in the stock with no gaps. I think I remember seeing on the Hogue site a picture of the aluminum bedding block by itself. You might want to check it out. Like I said earlier the Hogue stock seems just as stable as my H-S precision stock does and they both have about the same dimintions. I have a Rem. 700 LA with a Shilen SS #6 barrel in 25-06 in the H-S precision stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.