Been gone again, met up with Mbogo.

Ian M

Got back from a trip yesterday am, seven hours in a small bus, 12.5 hours J'berg to Frankfurt, 8.5 hours to Toronto, 3 hours home. Not sure which time zone I am operating in right now. Mbogo, also known as black death, was big, ugly and soaked up 500 grain .458 Win. mag bullets like they were bee-stings - to a point. He set up an ambush but we spotted him, ugly sight when all you can see in dark shade is a black blob that is waiting 35 yards away to kill you.
Have a few images if anyone would like to post for me.

Sounds like an interesting trip. Looking forward to hearing the whole story.;)

If you want some images up just send them this way.

Last edited:
Ian: Here are the pictures. Great looking bull;)

DSC_6.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_16.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

I don't know anything about anything, but I would be happy with a set of horns that looked like that. They are very nice to look at.

Wel here goes. We cruised slowly down a two-track trail after lunch on the first day. One of my friends had killed a bull in the area from a big herd. We thought we might follow them, check for more bulls. The eagle-eyed tracker spotted fresh tracks, we loadup and start to follow. I have a new Weatherby DGR, Dangerous Game Rifle in .458 Win mag with a 1.5-6 Nikon Monarch Gold in Near rings and bases. PH has a Musgrave .375 with open sights. We sneak as quietly as possible, the tracker sees things I don't and the next thing you know it smells like we are in a corral, poop is wet and slimy. They are close, so are a couple of Nyala but they did not blow our presence. The wind did and we heard a stampede and they were gone. We rest for a while, start tracking again. Obviously they are moving toward a river for water. We saw them twice in the heavy bush and thorns, just black bodies moving along about 35-50 yards from us and oblivious to our being there. Five bulls, not the herd we expected. We stayed with them for some time and the wind never blew us out. Finally we hit a T in a couple of trails, the bulls had to cross - or had they already? Suddenly a big old bruiser strolls across the trail, my best look to date at a live buff. PH said he was the big guy. For some reason he chose to come back to the edge of the trail and stare at his backtrail. I was on a BogPod tripod with a bipod under the butt, very steady but no shot since the thorns were too thick. Finally he moved, PH asked if I could place a bullet between the two little angled trees that formed a V on his lower chest. Bigger tree hid most of his front end but the heart was shootable. Lasered at 80 yards, held for the spot and let it break. He bucked upwards, kicked twice with his back legs like a bucking horse. PH said that is a heart shot, good deal. He disappeared into heavy thorns, then came running down the trail towards us. He was angling a bit, put a little lead on and hit him hard with a 500 solid. PH saw the right leg hanging, bull dived into the cover again.
Tough deal, light was almost gone. We wanted him but he was not down yet. PH said we should walk down the trail to where he was shot, look at blood. Walked a short distance and PH spotted him, he was waiting for us partially hidden in some heavy cover. He was sick but this was not over by any means. One more solid into chest, he ran a few yards and stopped, PH could here him breathing. We went back to the truck, called another crew and waited for them to showup. It was dark, gets dark early and fast over there.
One PH setup a spotlight in a Cruiser, we crawled into the back and they drove a short distance to where my PH thought he might be. Went about twenty seconds only into the bush and he was on the ground. Good deal, lots of guys to handle him and we did not have to leave him overnight.
Recovered some bullets, some of the solids could be shot again. 500 gr. Nosler Partition did a fine job. He is a fine bull, not a monster, not little by any means. I am happy, very happy to have experienced Mbogo. Now if I can get rested up and rid of all the aches and pains from the travel I will really enjoy life.
Really like the DGR, it is big and no-nonsence. You have to train yourself not to ever shortstroke, I practiced quite a bit before I went over. Took a new Icon in .300 Win mag, killed a nice Nyala and a very good Impala at waterholes. Killed a lot of rocks out to 850 yards with the remaining .300 ammo, Win. Accubonds in 180 that shot well. PH and tracker were like kids with a new toy shooting out that long on a huge river flat - Limpopo river between Zimbabwe and S. Africa.
We had a good camp, great hunting and perfect weather. Now if only Africa was not so **** far away, seems farther as you get older believe me.
Hope you guys enjoy that. Hopefully a few stories will be published as I work the info and images I got over time.
Been very ill since Feb. and that made things tougher but Docs said to go and that was a good decision.

Ian, what a great story. Really a nice looking bull too. Those white marks on his face really give him character and his horns are perfect. Thanks for sharing.

While the 458 Win Mag is extremely popular, you keep hearing stories like this, buffs taking a pounding and keep on rolling. Now surely these are tougher critters then I have ever hunted and I know they are not easy to put down with any chambering but what is your opinion of the 458 Win Mag and now that you have done it would you have rather used a 458 Lott or better yet a 475 capstick for more terminal authority?

Just wanting your opinion. I have a 458 Lott and feel its about the best there is in practical 458 caliber magnums after playing and loading for several 458 Win Magnums. I got very frustrated getting only 2000 fps with the 500 gr Hornady SPs. With the Lott its a simple matter to get 2350 fps with the same bullet SP or FMJ.

Also, do you think one of the larger chamberings would have resulted in a quicker end to the fight?

Great story. Of the african game, you just killed the one I want to hunt the most!!!

Kirby,
I have read some of the horror stories from the early ammo production of .458 Win mag - sure hope they have overcome all the powder problems in current ammo. No doubt the Lott will outperform the standard 458 Mag with ease. When I hunted brown bear I felt the .416 Rigby had the energy to completely overwhelm the charging bear. Far better performance than the .375 H&H.
This time was different. I hit him in the heart and lungs, broke a shoulder and several minutes later he was waiting to ambush us. Would a Lott or a larger bore rifle have done a better job? Truth is I have no idea since this was my only experience with the cape buff, but I would expect they might have caused death quicker.
Throughout my life I have always dreamed of hunting two animals, the Alaskan brown bear and the cape buffalo. Now my dreams have been fullfilled - I will go into a form of depression for a while and then set another goal.
Kirby, I hope you get to hunt the big black buffalo someday - he truly is awsome.
Thanks for the kind words all you guys.

Ian,

Thanks for your thoughts, I just wanted experience from someone that had been there done that and it was still fresh on their mind.

From the sounds of it, your buff was dead on his feet but like so many of the good old stories we have all read about old Black, he had a score to settle before he gave up the ghost.

It also sounds like with your good shot placement that a few hunderd fps would have made little difference. I imagine the only thing that would have increased his passing would have been more bullet diameter and more bullet weight but then again you get dramatically heavier recoil and rifles that no one I know could afford without taking out a second morgage on their house!!!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.