Bedding?

zr600

Ok I have a build coming together the stock should be here next week. It's a Remington with a remage barrel I want to have it bedded do I take it in and have it bedded or do it myself and what should I use to bed it? Any good threads on how to do it?

600, there is a thread every few days on bedding. Check the search top right.

You'll want to read up on how to bed and also watch some video so you can decide if you want to give it a try.

Keep it cleaned up as you go . It's a lot easier to clean off before it cures and do the best you can to keep it off of and out of places you don't want bedding material . Watch it being done on you tube or get a good CD on doing it plan ahead have all you need on hand to do the job and clean up such as cotton swabs , pop sickle sticks that have at least one end squared to clean along the stock and action paper towels ect..

Check out: erniethegunsmith.com. Lots of info on pillar bedding and action bedding. Detailed photos. Did a Rem 700 wood stock his way. Great results.
Also, Midway has videos on their site.
Brownells has materials at reasonable prices, but everybody seems to have their own favorite material.

A good project. Will make you more appreciative of your gunsmith.

Frank

I started bedding rifles in the 70's and learned from old guys who were real gunsmiths, with that said it really isn't complicated, just tedious to properly prepare. I found the Brownell's spray release agent to be good, I use studs in the receiver for alignment instead of trying to install receiver screws after the compound is laid, be sure and coat the studs with the release agent and do all that first to give it some time to set. I use 60 grit paper to rough up everywhere I want my bedding compound to be so it has a good bond. Open the recoil lug recess a little and rough it. I tape the front side of the recoil lug and tape the sides of the stock as well as the tang area. Lay a piece of painter's tape across the tang area, set the action in the stock and use a razor to trace the tang, remove the action and the center cut of tape and you have a perfect match. Plug or tape the pressure relief hole in the side of your receiver, I tape the receiver above the stock line which aides in cleanup as well as the inside of the magwell. Marine Tex, Devcon and Acraglass in its various forms all work just fine, some require more mixing than others. If you're at all capable with your hands and have patience, don't be afraid to do it yourself. Like others have stated, watch several videos, I learn things all the time that I just never thought of but someone did and put it out there. If it's better than my old method, I use it.

This:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072XTJRLF/?tag=lrhmag19-20

This:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FGVNPM/?tag=lrhmag19-20

And this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UBOZZU/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Is what I use. Completely strip the action and fill in voids with putty. Also put a dam at the barrel nut, you will be happy that you did. I also use painters tape on the barrel towards the end of the stock to center/float the barrel. Use studs to go in the action, or if you are pillar bedding then bolt the pillars to the action. Put the release on everything except pillars. Tape off the stock so you don't inadvertantly get bedding on the stock. Tape off more than you think you need to. After you set it in, tape it in with electrical tape, when stretched it gives the right amount of tension in my opinion.

After you pop the action out, clean it up with a dremel. This is how I do mine. The only thing I don't have a pic of is the pillars bolted to the action before I dropped it in the stock. Make sure and put bedding compound on the pillars before you put it in, as well as inside the action pillar holes to ensure proper adhesion.
20181227_214659.jpg
20181227_214715.jpg
20181227_214749.jpg
20181227_214805.jpg
20181227_214624.jpg
20181229_191636.jpg
20181229_191613.jpg
20181229_191557.jpg

Yep! Very nice!

Something I see you do and I've never decided completely which way is right, or best, is taping the sides of the recoil lug. I've done it both ways and understand that it provides a little more room to get the action in and out of the stock but have always wondered if it didn't leave a little something on the table.

What are y'alls opinions?

No criticism of your work in the photos, beautiful work.

Cross

Yep! Very nice!

Something I see you do and I've never decided completely which way is right, or best, is taping the sides of the recoil lug. I've done it both ways and understand that it provides a little more room to get the action in and out of the stock but have always wondered if it didn't leave a little something on the table.

What are y'alls opinions?

No criticism of your work in the photos, beautiful work.

Cross
I have done it several ways, not taping the lug at all, just the sides, the sides and front (not the lug bearing surface) and the sides, bottom and front. I haven't noticed any discernable difference, so if I can, I do all sides but the rear bearing surface of the lug, as it releases the easiest. That is what I did to the bedding job I posted photos of. This is how that rifle (338 Norma mag) shoots, 5 shots @100 yds
20190423_073739.jpg

Just my limited experience, more experience people may have more to say. BTW, the sides front and bottom taped off is how McMillan beds their stocks as well. They say it prevents any possible stress from being induced to the lug. Jus sayin.

I've seen the lug taped several ways. Bedding is done to keep the action from moving in the stock. My best results are taping the front and bottom of the lug only. An exception is the Ruger action, no tape at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.