Bedding

timmymic

I am looking at a savage model 10 fcp mcmillan, the only problem is that it is not bedded. (I know that the hs model comes bedded already but i like the mcmillan look better). But i was wondering what is the best/most accurate way of bedding... glass, aluminum block, or pillars?

Go to Terminal ballistic research website. Click on knowledge base, find bedding a rifle. It will explain the different stock designs and bedding techniques. The hs stock has a bedding block it's not bedded. Every action is slightly different and won't fit a mass produced stock perfectly. All rifles will gain from proper bedding even the stocks with bedding blocks. Putting pillars in is one more step done with bedding so the stock doesn't crush and splay when torqued. Glass bedding the McMillan with or without pillars is the way to go, pillars makes the bedding job more difficult but done right would be the best option if the stock doesn't have an aluminum bedding block. I've never heard of adding a bedding block to one without as all I've seen the bedding block is part of the framework inside the stock, the better ones running full length of the stock. Hope that makes sense,
Shane.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.