Bedding the scope mount

I came across the information about bedding scope base's when researching the net . He called Christensens yesterday and sent pictures of all his groups and they are having him send it back so they can look over the rifle
Ya, I have read a lot of comments about Christensen being hit or mis on quality control lately.

I use Leopold Steel Rings and Bases on most everything. Always on a hunting rifle!! Clean Action and Bases with Carb Cleaner . Tiny brush with carb cleaner inside all screw holes, drain and dry, Attach bases with blue lock tight on screws. Test base screws every time I change or upgrade scope and rings from older 1 inch to newer 30mm . Never an issue yet ,but I like the JB weldbond idea!! If I could find a Gunsmith who was highly skilled at both welding and blending the weld, so it would look seamless, I would do that to two or three of my Hunting rifles, all of which have steel receivers.

Never an issue yet ,but I like the JB weldbond idea!! If I could find a Gunsmith who was highly skilled at both welding and blending the weld, so it would look seamless, I would do that to two or three of my Hunting rifles, all of which have steel receivers.

You can do it yourself, JB Weld wipes away nicely before cure. Q-tips, paper towels, rags and WD40 will do it

Last edited:
Loctite is for threads, not for mounting surfaces.
Not true. Loctite fills in gaps, that's how it works with screws. They do make a retaining compound that may work slightly better for bedding. However most of their products are mostly the same polymer, just tweaked for more specific uses.

Not true. Loctite fills in gaps, that's how it works with screws. They do make a retaining compound that may work slightly better for bedding. However most of their products are mostly the same polymer, just tweaked for more specific uses.

Any of the Loctite retaining compounds, 620, 640, 648 or 680 would be great choices. I use 620 to bed AR barrel extensions, might try it on a set of scope bases. But it will "weld" everything together it comes in contact that doesn't have some form of release agent on it.