Bedding question for the gurus

jonnybullslayer

Hi guys,
Hoping you can help me out with a situation. I have a Savage 300 RUM that I've been sitting on for a couple of years waiting to put it into a BVSS Stock. One came along and I snatched it up and am now anxious to start working up a load for it. The issue I'm having is with the bedding. It was previously bedded, including the barrel nut and first inch or more of the barrel. When I tried to put the action in, it seemed to teeter around the lug area and I could get the rear action screw to tighten, but couldn't pull the front down far enough to get the front action screw started.

I removed the bedding around the barrel nut and barrel with a hot soldering iron and kept checking. That helped, but it still seemed to teeter up front so I widened out the lug area (sides of the stock) and opened it up just a hair.

I can now get both screws started and tightened, but it still feels like it teeters up front as I put the action in. I'm used to actions just falling into place evenly. I really don't want to waste time, money, and effort on working up a load if the bedding is going to make it shoot all over the place.

How can I tell if it is bedded correctly? Can I put something with color on it, lay the action in without screws and pull it back off and check for contact? Or should I strip it all out and start over?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

JB

Hi guys,
Hoping you can help me out with a situation. I have a Savage 300 RUM that I've been sitting on for a couple of years waiting to put it into a BVSS Stock. One came along and I snatched it up and am now anxious to start working up a load for it. The issue I'm having is with the bedding. It was previously bedded, including the barrel nut and first inch or more of the barrel. When I tried to put the action in, it seemed to teeter around the lug area and I could get the rear action screw to tighten, but couldn't pull the front down far enough to get the front action screw started.

I removed the bedding around the barrel nut and barrel with a hot soldering iron and kept checking. That helped, but it still seemed to teeter up front so I widened out the lug area (sides of the stock) and opened it up just a hair.

I can now get both screws started and tightened, but it still feels like it teeters up front as I put the action in. I'm used to actions just falling into place evenly. I really don't want to waste time, money, and effort on working up a load if the bedding is going to make it shoot all over the place.

How can I tell if it is bedded correctly? Can I put something with color on it, lay the action in without screws and pull it back off and check for contact? Or should I strip it all out and start over?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

JB

Just remove all of the old bedding back to the stock and re-bed.

You will probably never get it right until you do.

It is very hard to fit the action to the stock correctly, so that is the reason we bed the action
and float the barrel. (To get a perfect fit).

J E CUSTOM

I would start over if you have to fight those screws and its teetering when you tighten those screws it will put a bind in the action that's not good it is completely opposite of what you want from bedding an action and delete that inch or so of bedding in front of the lug. Sucky part is that you have to do twice the work for your new stock

No big deal if it was previously bedded. Do as JE suggested and just go in with a mill, Foredom or Dremel and remove all the old bedding and do it up fresh.

Thanks guys...that was the answer I thought I'd get. Just really didn't want to hear it. I've never bedded an action before so I'm a little nervous about trying it.

Thanks guys...that was the answer I thought I'd get. Just really didn't want to hear it. I've never bedded an action before so I'm a little nervous about trying it.

There are some good Videos on this site about bedding and floating rifles. Do a search and you will
find good advice on how to bed rifles that will make it simple.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

I will do that J E Custom. I picked up some Acraglass this weekend and read the directions. Watching the videos is next on my list.

Thanks All!

JB

Another question as I look at the process. This BVSS stock has pillars. I've just watch a video about skim bedding and the areas bedded were just rear of the recoil lug and the two surfaces where the recoil lugs are. Another video and article I read showed the barrel nut and about two inches of the barrel (or maybe it was two inches including the nut?) bedded as well. This is how the stock came to me. It seems that the first method would be sufficient...do I need to bed the nut/barrel forward of the recoil lug?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.