Bedding m700 two piece bases

tbrice23

Im planning on bedding two piece bases on 2 Rem. 700s both SS one high polished the other nitrided.
Seems if the rear of the action is non concentric to begin with how do you get it in the same plane with the front in order to bed it correctly ( besides buying a one piece base).

Im planing on lapping after bedding anyway. Am I wasting time trying to do this?

I would use a steel straight edge (ruler) to confirm that the top and side surfaces are parallel between front and rear. If not, you may have to remove a lot of ring material during lapping. In that case, I would shim the front and/or rear using brass shim or beer can material to get them as close to parallel as possible. Then I would bed the bases, embedding the shims in bedding material. Then I would lap the rings.

I was able to over come sloppy receiver grinding on a 700 with Burris signature offset inserts. The gun is a 7 mag I hunt with and has held zero for years.

I was thinking of fabricating a jig to hold both bases in line with each other but that's a lot of trouble. I like my 2 piece base set up for top loading. Otherwise I've always had success bedding one piece bases . I just need to make sure im not stressing the action and /or lapping crazy amounts of ring material.

I might have found a jig?!!

Attachments

• 20140115_190211.jpg
    20140115_190211.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 164
I was thinking of fabricating a jig to hold both bases in line with each other but that's a lot of trouble. I like my 2 piece base set up for top loading. Otherwise I've always had success bedding one piece bases . I just need to make sure im not stressing the action and /or lapping crazy amounts of ring material.

The smith I use to bed the base jigs the rifle up in a mill and uses a dial indicator to get the base perfectly in line with the bore. I have never ask him about doing a two piece base. I think your thinking is right on using some type of jig to hold the two bases true with one another. Just don't want to run any stress up into the scope tube when nutting the caps down as you mention above.

I found a picatinny riser I've had put away for years. as pictured above. The holes and cut outs match. I'll look at it closer and let you know if it will work . I'll just have to mount the bases moderately tight then clamp the picatinny rail on. Then loosen then unmount the bases then bed.

I could possibly make it 20 moa while I'm at it.

Ok guys I am back with my fixture. I've dry fitted it and installed and removed the setup a couple of times. It seems really stable and solid. So im going to kiwi it and mix some devcon over a .023" shim in the rear and get to it.

Attachments

• 20140123_194132.jpg
    20140123_194132.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 160
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.