Bedding a factory Remington synthetic stock.

CHARLIEDUECE65

I was wondering if it was worth having the factory synthetic stock on my Remington 700 pillar bedded and if its worth it. Im not sure if the stock will even fit my #4 contour Krieger barrel any how. Any info would be appreciated. It would be nice not to have to buy another stock, although I know that would prolly be a better option. Thanks.

Is it the HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block in it, or the cheap plastic stock everybody keeps talking about that is good to make a lamp out of ?
Tarey

You could, but synthetic stock is not rigid enough to support heavy barrel, I bedded mine, it actually improved accuracy, but I didn't like the grip on it and I replaced with B&C Medalist Tactical, which I bedded the recoil lug was 1/8" from the aluminum block, it should of been resting on it...

Bedding a factory stock in most cases is like polishing a turd, it will still be a turd!!
There are several low cost alternatives that are stiffer and have pillars or blocks in them. I've been favoring the B&C medalist lately because of price and quality, but there are others.

Yeah, figured so. It's the cheap remington stock, not an hs one. I currently own three hs stocks and one mcmillan with pillars installed for my rifles. I think i prefer the mcmillan personally. Thanks for the info.

I bought a 300 ultra mag adl this winter for a doner rifle while waiting for barrel to arrive i decided to shoot it and it shot a little better than sub MOA . So with no other projects going I decided to Free float and Bed the plastic stock . Well a couple hours later and a huge pile of melted plastic i was ready to bed the action, I used devcon and it seemed to be a success the devcon seems to have bonded to the plastic . The next problem was when you free float the stock there is nothing to hold the forearm straight or solid Remington uses the barrel to support the stock , for a remedy to this I took 3 layers of 2 inch wide electrical tape and placed on the under side of the barrel and used release agent over it then filled the hollow plastic forearm with some surplus 2 part construction epoxy similar to Jb weld It takes alot , then put the gun back together using the bt metal . After a couple hours i pulled it apart and cleaned it up around the ends and on top . It worked great it is as stiff as any Mcmillan , BC ,or HS I have . Then later I Pillar Bedded the Seekins 338 bt metal in it and just camo painted it with Krylon . The factory gun after all that shoots right at 1/2 MOA now. Then i had to go find another doner action for my 338 build.

Exactly what I did with mine. Devcon worked great, but I filled hollow parts with Bondo filler then Devcon over it...

Exactly what I did with mine. Devcon worked great, but I filled hollow parts with Bondo filler then Devcon over it...

Thanks for that suggestion. I have a Ruger 7mmMag with the plastic canoe paddle stock. It flexes like cooked spagetthi in the front. I may fill it with Bondo and put Devcon over it like you did to stiffen it up. I've considered bedding a piece of 3/8" steel rod in it to stiffen it up.

Fitch

I thought about drilling some small holes and inserting a couple welding rods for stiffeners and to help hold the epoxy in place but I Got in a hurry a decided not to. One more little thing i did was take a propane torch and lightly scorch the entire surface of the stock thinking that it would help the paint and epoxy bond a little better not sure if helped or not? I wish i could afford a McMillan stock for every rifle in the safe but like they say Poor people have poor ways and this one seems to work if you have a little extra time.

Here are few things you might consider when working with Rem factory synthetic stock:

get it pillar/glass bedded:
3e9888850cdc.jpg

b4275d15dfc9.jpg

d23be3a90d84.jpg

then fill hollow parts with epoxy/filler

20daeb3afa6f.jpg

I guess you could reinforce it with metal rods...

Sorry it is not my project, my friend glass bedded his rifle and he made pillars himself from aluminum alloy... He told me its to make epoxy hold pillars in synthetic stock...

142a127a5a40.jpg

01920e6bbe80.jpg

2603a7666ee3.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.