Flush cups for Tikka factory synthetic stock

fremont

I have a buddy buying a new Tikka and he wants flush cups. I said that was no problem; I would show him how it's done using my B&C Medalist stock as an example. What a mess. Used a 7/16" Forstner bit (I tested 1/2" on an old B&C stock and the 9/16-18 tap wouldn't print threads--the fiberglass crumbled) and ran into the aluminum frame at the forend at about .400" depth (flush cap is .500" deep). Since I don't have a drill press, it quickly dissolved into a real mess. Hopefully the sling (and stock matching Devcon epoxy) will hide most of it. (The buttstock went great--once I realized that I had to go real low as mid-height is hollow!)

Anyhow, he's in near shock by the time I'm done. I want to assure him that the Tikka will be simpler. Has anyone installed flush cups on a Tikka factory synthetic stock? Aluminum bedding block? Straight forward? (Also, were you able to use a 1/2" bit? I'm hoping the synthetic fill is much harder than B&C's.)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.