Bedding a Bell and Carlson Medalist for Weatherby Mark V

Did you look at the action in the stock from below through the magazine as I'd recommended? It's easiest if the bottom metal is off and the magazine is out. If you see space between the action and the stock you can either a) sand out the barrel channel to float the barrel (and I suspect you'll have to take out a lot more than just the pressure pads) or b) call Bell & Carlson and exchange it for one that is made correctly.

The B&C will likely have more side-to-side play in it than a factory plastic stock. That can be improved with some bedding if you wish. It's the up-and-down that will get you as well as the front-to-back.

Yeah there was too much space between the action and the stock, also I felt there was a little too much movement as well. I took the gun to my smith and he is going to bed and float it. Hopefully that'll be all it needs...don't wanna put any more money into 'er!

Thanks

I put a B&C Medalist Alaskan II on a Rem700 270 that I have. Noticed the "nubs" in the forend and had heard they were for harmonic balancing. When I put the stock on my groups grew from 0.75ish out to around 3". I had a feeling it was the nubs so I took it to a friend thats a smith and he threw a dial indicator on it and sure enough it wasnt consistent. We were tapping it and it would not return to the same point in the nub. Worst deviation was around 0.015. Dremmaled the nub out and it dropped down to max deviation of 0.002. Hit the range and it constantly groups around 0.7 again without bedding. Check how the action sits against the sides of the stock also, I had a few pressure points that were easily removed. Thats good advice above to try shooting it before bedding and or grinding, mite save some work and make it possible to use the stock later on down the road if its a shooter now. Having said that I will be lug bedding mine since it is only making contact on one side of the AL block (another thing to check). Good luck, their good stocks with a lil love. :D

-Wade

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.