bedding a 700

malcarjeb

what is the correct way to bed a remington 700? I have done several other makes but not a remington and was not sure about bedding the tang or floating it like a savage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I personaly bed the tang and front end leaving the sides alone. Now days , I pillar bed all my guns first then come back and glass bed them , not sure I'm gaining anything from this but the pillars are cheap and it sure makes for a professional job having those two shiney pillars surounded my the bedding.
Bedding a Rem 700 is in my oppinion easier than bedding a Savage.
just remember to use plenty of release agent on everything you don't want staying in the stock

The Rem 700 tang should be fully bedded as this is where the rear receiver screw attaches to the receiver.

In the Savage receiver, the rear receiver screw is in front of the receiver which is why they generally shoot the best with a floating tang.

Two different beasts. Always bed the Rem 700 tang, always float the Savage.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.