Is a bedding block better than pilar bedding

If both are done properly, they will both be very similiar in performance. If either are done incorrectly, they both can have serious problems in accuracy and consistancy.

Stocks such as the H-S Precision stocks with the aluminum bedding block are fine but rarely do the blocks mate up evenly with the receiver. What happens when the receiver is tightened down in the stock is that, yes you have a very consistant bedding platform but it is also stressing the hell out of your receiver.

Even these stocks benefit from bedding because of their uneven fit to the receiver.

Its all about a perfect stress free bedding job. There are many ways to skin a cat. Personally, a properly pillar bedded rifle is very hard to beat in my opinion.

If you get a stock such as an HS, have it skim bedded for best results. It will shoot more consistantly that way.

Kirby Allen(50)

Opinion and FAct: My Opinion is that a large split horizontal bedding block, say 8" long, as I am now bedding, is far better total support for a long heavy barrel on a Remmy with short tenion threads. Bending moment is significant. Fact: according to Precision Shooting magazine, the national champ used such a bedding block. Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Overbore,

I answered the question assuming the question asked was a bedding block compared to pillar bedding, not a "Barrel Bedding Block" compared to pillar bedding.

Two very different things when we talk about a "Bedding Block" such as those used in HS precision stocks and a "Barrel Bedding Block" which is used to support the barrel and freefloat the receiver such as what you are using.

I think the confusion here is in the discription of the bedding block. If I read only the words "bedding Block" I assume this is an aluminum block imbedded in the stock that the receiver is supported by.

If I read "Barrel Bedding Block" I would assume it is what you are talking about with you rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, how much do you charge for a Skim Bedding job with Steel Bed (or the like) on let's say a brand new Sendero II in .300 Ultra??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mindcrime,
Usually Kirby will want you to e-mail him on that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
His e-mail: [email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. I just thought while he was here, he could do more advertising. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.