Beating the dead " i dont understand MILS" horse!!!

Well I gotta say I knew nothing about Mils before reading this thread, but I have learned 2 things from this post.

1. I see no reason to leave the MOA system

2. Somehow, it does not surprise me that the USMC and US Army cannot even agree on what a mil is. Unbelievable!

You'd think that military procurement would DEMAND one universal system. nice to know our tax dollars are well spent. I'm all for giving the snipers what they need, but to me, ANY sniper, Navy, Army, Marines, Air Force or whatever, even the local PD's, ought to be able to pick up any scoped weapon and know instantly how to use it.

What is the reason for the mil system anyway? Is it to be universal with foreign military? If so then why can't they use whatever they use?

:)... ok a couple of things:

1. A mil is a mil is a mil.. unless you call it a miliradian or mrad, but still the same... it's a mil.

2. An Army mil is the same mil.

3. A Marine Corp mil is the same mil.

4. An English mil is the same, just sounds better when the Brits' say it!:)

5. Who the hell know's what the Aussie's use but those Bruces' sure can shoot! gun)

6. Only the SIZE of the MILDOT is what's different. Kinda like buying a reticle with mil-hash instead of a mildot, or different thickness reticle lines, but the distance between the centers of the mil line/dot/oval/hash is... 1 mil.

7. When you buy a scope the reticle is explained in detail and you'll know what you are buying before you buy it... I hope!

8. A Russian mil IS different. :rolleyes:

The mil system is really quite simple, as is the MOA. It's just Whiskey or Beer, both work! :D

Doc

:)... ok a couple of things:

1. A mil is a mil is a mil.. unless you call it a miliradian or mrad, but still the same... it's a mil.

2. An Army mil is the same mil.

3. A Marine Corp mil is the same mil.

4. An English mil is the same, just sounds better when the Brits' say it!:)

5. Who the hell know's what the Aussie's use but those Bruces' sure can shoot! gun)

6. Only the SIZE of the MILDOT is what's different. Kinda like buying a reticle with mil-hash instead of a mildot, or different thickness reticle lines, but the distance between the centers of the mil line/dot/oval/hash is... 1 mil.

7. When you buy a scope the reticle is explained in detail and you'll know what you are buying before you buy it... I hope!

8. A Russian mil IS different. :rolleyes:

The mil system is really quite simple, as is the MOA. It's just Whiskey or Beer, both work! :D

Doc

Actually the USMC mil and the Army mil IS different!! A USMC mil IS a mil the Army mil is NOT a mil.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
ARMY: 360 degrees = 1 circle
6400 mils = 1 circle, 360
17.8 mils = 1 degree
360 degrees divided by 6400 = .0563 multiplied by 60 = 3.375 MOA or
1 mil = 3.375 moa[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]USMC: 360 degrees = 1 circle
6283 mils = 1 circle
17.5 mils = 1 degree
360 degrees divided by 6283 = .0573 multiplied by 60 = 3.438 MOA or
1 mil = 3.438 moa[/FONT]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.