Bears

Hugnot

Montana bears usually kill or maim 1 or more people every year. The US Forest service recommends having a rifle of .30-06 or larger in bear country. In Spitsbergen, Norway, white colored polar bears are common, again a rifle of .30-06 is recommended or possible required for outside adventures.

I have a .375-.338.

I have an irrational fear of bears.

Senator John Kennedy (R LA) stated, today CPAC, that all people would taste like chicken to bears. I am real old and have a preference for garlic and other stuff and think that I might have a different flavor.

Last edited:
IMG_1900.JPG

It is a .338 necked up to .375 but free 7mm Rem mag range brass can also be used - big round .375-inch dark hole. Big, fat 300 grain bullet plowing thru air at 2550 fps MV.

If a bear ate an illegal, would it taste different? I see the Senator's point regarding race, but my fear of the bear compels further thought.

Last edited:
Put jambalaya seasoning in your cloths and boots, bears are notoriously bland eaters and don't like spicy food. Unless of course you meet a Cajun bear or one with a pocket full of tums... in which case probably try and outrun whomever you're standing next to.

In all seriousness, a cursory scroll through My phone has at least 2x contacts of bear attacks. Neither with as much scarring as the contact with the sea lion attack injuries... both were wrong place at the wrong time. One was nailed on a bike path and the other in a stream, both unwittingly between a sow and cubs and both got thigh bite and flung.

Nature of where I work means lots and lots of bear interactions, honestly they scare me much less than my time in the woods near cougars. Those buggers are tricky and will circle and follow you from behind. Bears creep up on you about like having a hillbilly in a straight pipe truck sneaks up on you. If you can't hear them you can usually smell them....

Walk around the woods a little more alert and don't keep food in your tent you're not going to get chomped on by a bear...