Bears are comming!

I believe he does use it to start a bait now but I think I remember him saying that he has hunted over this secent when he was in a tree stand. The scent is fired up and allowed to burn out then he takes the bucket home. This is all done the same day he is leaving the first load of bait.

I will check with him and try to get back to you in a timely manner.

Also check with the local pizza joints for unused dough. When I worked at Pizza Hut as a teen we would often throw away garbage bags full of soft pizza dough nightly. Sometimes one of the girls would take some home and make cinnamon rolls for the crew the next day. The dough is clean and does not have a strong odor but if you combine a little grease splashed against a near-by tree as an attractant with dough as the main course you might be able to keep the bears happy and coming back for the cost of the gas to get it there..

My friend saturates rags with anise and also strawberry extract and hangs them where the wind will carry the scent a long way...

Depends on whether or not I want to have some too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just Kidding!

Cheapest bag you can find. Butter, cheese, whatever. I like it for 2 reasons. First, they really get into it and get extra stupid. Second, If the angle is not right for the shot (Especisally in archery) they will be turning soon enough for more.

Seriously, put some down while developing your sight to see if they eat it. If they dont hit it right away, then maybe season it a little. My favorite trick is putting a couple of oily anchovies in the bag. Just a couple with that oil is enough for one of those big supermarket bags. If you do it at home, put the popcorn is those big 2 gallon ziplocks and buy the good bags or you'll wish you did every time you get in your truck. I personally can't stand anchovies, but i'm not a bear.

If you see there hitting it, you're in great shape.

Good Luck!

Cowboy. I spoke with my neighbor and he said he will use them at the start and when sitting on the bait. He only uses them when sitting occasionally to entice the bears with a new smell. He also will do a "Honey burn" which ammounts to putting a #10 tin can with honey and a few other ingredients over a sterno can and cook the life out of it. I don't remember what the other ingredients or proportions were but someone here might know. (We were drinking Old Fashioneds in celebration of his finishing an addition to his house. Hickup.) We also do the same thing with pork and beans (just a small ammount in the can. NOT a full #10 can of them). Let 'em burn. But don't start a forest fire.

With the flaming bait he sits close to it (always up wind) and watches the lanes of entry so a bear would not get close to them.

He also said that here in Idaho you can sometimes get bears to come in earlier in the day by using smaller ammounts of bait placed in the morning (every morning). The bears smell this all day and will learn to get there early so the other bears won't get it all first. He fears that bears on the east side of the Mississippi know better and getting them to appear before nightfall may mean PERFECT scent and sound tactics (NO scent or sound from you. No one else with you at the stand. and so on) and a perfect allignment of the planets.

I would also perform the Holy HoHo sacrifice with a humble heart.

Good luck.

Guys thanks for all the advice, I could not have thought of all this stuff by myself. Pizza dough sounds like something I could get. (lots of pizza places in town} The orvil redinbachers is popin right now. I sweet talked a lady at my friends bar to save all the left over fries and bread from their dinner service. Picked up a 5 gal. bucket full this pm.

I have two slow baits near home that I got to check yet tonight. I'll check in later.

Honey is illegal in Wis. too. I have ran a lot of bear baits in Wis. If you can find the bakery products old donuts ect they work will. Last year I go a barrel full of marsh mellows all differant flavors. I mixed them in with some corn and sun flower seeds and the bears would clean up very last seed and kernel.

Add some suger if you like to. I use anise oil to attact. Bears are easy to bait. Most of the time I have my baits hit with in a day or two puting them out.

good luck on the hunt.

P dog, I'm baiting down south of hwy 10, not all that many bears compared to further north.

I checked a bait last night that I set about 3 weeks ago and had yet to be hit. I thought it was in a great spot. On my walk in I cross a creek. Well low and behold right on my trail is a very good track. He headed right for the bait and cleaned it out. The front foots pad measured four and a quarter inches across.

So tonight I picked up a trail camera, will be setting it up later this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.