Bears are comming!

Coyboy

Well I started 3 baits the 1st week of July. One is being hit regularlly, the other 2 are pretty slow. Started 2 more this week.

This is my first ever attempt at baiting in bears. I'm using corn, grease, splenda, and chocolate covered cherries. Seems they have a sweet tooth, because they aren't into the corn. I also have alot of young pumpkins in the garden and have put out a few that they ate.

Anyway, the season in Wisconsins zone C opens Sept. 7.
I need to keep them interested, The area I hunt has other hunters baiting. Talked to one last week, he's being hit as well.

Any veterain bear hunters have any tips?

I like popcorn when I'm hunting the site. They love it and they have to stick around to eat it. I also use chicken and chicken livers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, right now I'm in the process of finding pasteries. Tough to come by because of all the other bear hunters getting them.

The dog food and chicken are out WDNR does not allow any animals parts or byproduct of animals. Don't know if a honey bee falls under their definition of an animal thou?

checked my bait this AM and it was hit again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Try the popcorn when hunting. They get so busy eating it that sometimes I think I could yell "Hey Mister" and they wouldn't notice. Plus if its getting late and your not getting any action you could grab a few handfuls for yourself if your hungry. LOL

Seriously though, they do love that popcorn.

I have a friend who has killed several dozen Bear and swears by oil of anise(not a nephew) strawberry extract cheap syrup or honey a real variety of pastries.

I am no veteran bear hunter as you may already know. The friend that is though always starts out a bait site with 12 miles of dead fish to attract bears from a wide area to come into his bait for the first time. The bucket described in the product page is explained on this page.

I'm going to try it this year for coyotes.

Buffalobob, Your in luck. The guy I buy the chocolate cherries from has 50 more 55gal. barrels left. Mostly they are production defects, small cosmetic blemish, dented, ect.
He just got a semi load in last week $32 per barrel each weighs 340lbs.

4ked, Does he just use this product to start a bait?

Has he ever hunted over this product when sitting a bait?
I'm wondering how the bears react when they find this smoking bucket.

I may just try this stuff. Thanks for the tip.

sniper2, I forgot to mention that at some of my baits I hang anise oil in a plastic bottle with fins cut in the sides. When hung on a string they spin and distribute scent into the air real good. I also have some of them that contain liquid smoke.

Birdman since your so adiment on the popcorn I'll give it a try. Do you pop your own or buy outdated bags?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.