Beam Scale

My primary beam scale is an old BAIR scale, I think its a model 317-100. Also on the bench is an old Herters scale just to confirm that the Bair is on. They may be old but work fine.

Brand new to the reloading game. I've been reading and going through as much info as I can. The one thing I'm struggling the most with is what scale to purchase. Since I'm new to this, I'm trying to keep costs within reason -- that means no A&D FX120i me. At the moment I have a cheap jewelers digital scale, but wouldn't want to trust it alone. The only safe, affordable option seems to be a beam scale.

I've read that many of the new beam scales are made in Mexico and China and don't produce the same level of accuracy as the older versions do. Are there any newer beam scales that are still accurate? Redding #2 perhaps?

Are there older, reliable brands of beam scales that I should keep an eye out for on Ebay?

Sorry if this question is posed often.
I use an RCBS Chargemaster Lite for bulk loading, but my "go-to" precision scale is a Redding #2. It keeps my Chargemaster Lite honest.

Ed

use my 5-0-5 , been with me for long long time, along with a Ohaus beam scale , have added the RCBS M1000 and also there electronic digital charge master one . Always end back with the 5-0-5, or beam or the M 1000. I have one digital its just a scale use that to weigh brass & bullets. Guess I'am just old fashion . Master is effected with a draft or ???? takes tooo long to get a good steady reading .

Last edited:
I have been reloading for close to 30 years. The very best piece of reloading equipment I ever bought was the RCBS Charge Master. Several times over the years I have checked it against research grade pharmaceutical scales. It has remained dead on. I'm talking the difference is a single stick of powder. I am very fortunate to have my reloading set up in a room inside the house that is temperature and humidity controlled. If you have to have this out in the garage or out in the back shed humidity T and temperature would be a factor. It's worth the investment.

Got lucky and found a new in the box older Oahu's made 10-10 at a yard sale. Compared the accuracy on 3 other scales, it's quite accurate. Only use the Chargemaster for bulk .223 now.

Wish I could remember the maker of the beam scale the guy who started me reloading. It was so sensitive he could place a small piece of paper on it ,level the Beam ,remove the paper and draw a small, very small line on it with a pencil and the beam would move. His dad brought it back for Europe after WW2.

Here's what I use & just love it, an old RCBS 304 made by Ohaus. Every now & then one does pop up on ebay. Also have an Ohaus 10-10 as a backup.

58378484680__249BAD16-0194-485A-B549-DD62ED6B9940.JPG

i have 2 beam scales but last year bought a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper electronic scale, powder dispenser. I have checked it many times and it is very accurate. It cuts my load time down drastically. Under $200 on sale which is much cheaper than most comparable scales but still more expensive than many beam scales. I don't see my self going back to a beam scale as my primary.

Follow ebay. I snagged a Pacific beam scale on an estate sale for $40 for a friend. Double checked with weights. Has a nice made in USA cast into the relatively heavy base.

I throw all workup loads with my Chargemaster at 0.1 grain light, then trickle up to to exact on my 5-10 RCBS Ohaus from 80's. Sometime the Chargemaster gets long and it right on with the beam scale. Usually I need to drop a couple sticks and I am good. I load a lot of large stick powders that do NOT meter perfectly from Chargemaster. FYI Ball powders meter near perfect.