Beam Scale

groc426

Brand new to the reloading game. I've been reading and going through as much info as I can. The one thing I'm struggling the most with is what scale to purchase. Since I'm new to this, I'm trying to keep costs within reason -- that means no A&D FX120i me. At the moment I have a cheap jewelers digital scale, but wouldn't want to trust it alone. The only safe, affordable option seems to be a beam scale.

I've read that many of the new beam scales are made in Mexico and China and don't produce the same level of accuracy as the older versions do. Are there any newer beam scales that are still accurate? Redding #2 perhaps?

Are there older, reliable brands of beam scales that I should keep an eye out for on Ebay?

Sorry if this question is posed often.

My rcbs 505 works great. I went back to it after buying 3 new digital scales last year that were inaccurate. Like you I can't justify big $ at the moment for a scale. I just want a accurate digital scale.

I use a RCBS Chargemaster Lite to throw 1 grn less than my charge weight then dump it in my RCBS M1000 beam scale and trickle up. Very consistent and always have 2 checks. I usually have very low ES and SD. works for me. By the time I'm done trickling on the beam scale the CM already has the next load thrown.

There's a Scott Parker tuned 10-10 in the Classifieds right now...you can thank me later.

I've searched through the classifieds and can't find this scale you're referring to. Would you be able to link it?

RCBS balances are the old stand by. The one above is a reasonable price.
In electronics I have the Gen 6 and really like it. If you get one you will never use a beam balance again. www.gen 6.com
Beam balances use a knife edge pivot point that can wear and give false results.
Electronic use a strain gauge that converts to elec. signal when loaded. The gage elec. signal varies some and the computer takes an average of the fluctuations to report as weight.
There are balances that can weigh to the nanogram, so sensitive they can weigh a finger print, .000001gm

Brand new to the reloading game. I've been reading and going through as much info as I can. The one thing I'm struggling the most with is what scale to purchase. Since I'm new to this, I'm trying to keep costs within reason -- that means no A&D FX120i me. At the moment I have a cheap jewelers digital scale, but wouldn't want to trust it alone. The only safe, affordable option seems to be a beam scale.

I've read that many of the new beam scales are made in Mexico and China and don't produce the same level of accuracy as the older versions do. Are there any newer beam scales that are still accurate? Redding #2 perhaps?

Are there older, reliable brands of beam scales that I should keep an eye out for on Ebay?

You don't have to apologize if you think the question has been asked before, everyone has to start ,when they start .
To answer your question ,for me the old rcbs beam scale has worked fine , I also use an rcbs powder throw , and still weigh every load.
So it depends on how far you want to go to chase perfection.

No matter what type you end up with ,after you get it on zero, weigh something known to check the scale, that way you don't load up some ammo,with the wrong amount of powder in them.

I've searched through the classifieds and can't find this scale you're referring to. Would you be able to link it?

Sorry, it's on the Accurate Shooter forum.

It's worth every penny. Short of an A&D, this is the best money you can spend on scales.

I've never heard of anyone wearing out the knife edges. They can be improved from the factory, but Scott takes care of that with his tuning.

I purchased Docs scale here. I feel very fortunate and appreciate him letting me know about it!

I've read about Scott's scales. Is there any info how he improves these scales?

Thanks everyone for your help!

I would see if I could find a Dillon Precision Eliminator Beam Scale. Dillon doesn't show it as a currently available item on their website so, you will have to look for one on the secondary market. I have had mine for about 20 years and use it to check my Pact Precision electronic dispense/scale combo when I am calibrating it. I have found it to be very accurate.

RCBS 5-0-5 with an Oahous 10-10 if want to corss-check the 5-0-5. Process: Lyman DPS II, verify it with 5-0-5, then recheck every 10th ORund.

Last edited: