bead blasted ss barrel scratch resistance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by älg, Jan 14, 2007.

1. älg

älg Well-Known Member

I am wondering others experience with ss bead blasted barrels regarding their resistance to scractehs and small hits......is it very soft???

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Kirby did something to the one he built for me. I don't know if its bead blasted or sand blasted but it is a mat finish and seems highly resistive to scratches and dings.

I also have a bead blasted CM barrel that seems quite easily chipped and scratched, mostly on the top of the itty bitty creaters. Is has some kind of black colored 'blued' finish. .

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

I have a bead blasted Spencer barrel and it is not very scratched up. The scratches do not contrast as much with the bead blast as they would if the barrel was blued. Think of the stuff as the patina that developes on a gold wedding band.

The thing that I have noticed is that the barrel gets "dirty" toward the brake. I have not tried to take solvent and "clean" it so I do not know if it cleans up or not.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    The thing that I have noticed is that the barrel gets "dirty" toward the brake. I have not tried to take solvent and "clean" it so I do not know if it cleans up or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

By dirty I take that you mean carbon? If so a q-tip and warthog will instantly remove it. So will GM TEC but the wife complains every time it open the can, even when in my little room down stairs with the door closed. I never had a dog with as gooda nose as she has. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. älg

älg Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments.-