bead blasted ss barrel scratch resistance

älg

I am wondering others experience with ss bead blasted barrels regarding their resistance to scractehs and small hits......is it very soft???

Kirby did something to the one he built for me. I don't know if its bead blasted or sand blasted but it is a mat finish and seems highly resistive to scratches and dings.

I also have a bead blasted CM barrel that seems quite easily chipped and scratched, mostly on the top of the itty bitty creaters. Is has some kind of black colored 'blued' finish. .

I have a bead blasted Spencer barrel and it is not very scratched up. The scratches do not contrast as much with the bead blast as they would if the barrel was blued. Think of the stuff as the patina that developes on a gold wedding band.

The thing that I have noticed is that the barrel gets "dirty" toward the brake. I have not tried to take solvent and "clean" it so I do not know if it cleans up or not.

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that I have noticed is that the barrel gets "dirty" toward the brake. I have not tried to take solvent and "clean" it so I do not know if it cleans up or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

By dirty I take that you mean carbon? If so a q-tip and warthog will instantly remove it. So will GM TEC but the wife complains every time it open the can, even when in my little room down stairs with the door closed. I never had a dog with as gooda nose as she has. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.