Czech President Blasts Global Warming

jwp475

From News Max

---------------------------------------------------------------
Czech President Blasts Global Warming

Czech President Vaclav Klaus says many global warming advocates are more interested in money than they are in climate change.

Speaking at the opening session of the Second International Conference on Climate Change last week in New York, Klaus — who is also President pro-tem of the European Union — warned that politicians have "succeeded in creating incentives which led to the rise of a very powerful [profit]-seeking group.

"These people are interested neither in temperature, CO2, competing scientific hypotheses and their testing, nor in freedom or markets. They are interested in their businesses and their profits — made with the help of politicians."

They will profit, he said, from trading the licenses to emit carbon dioxide, and from constructing unproductive wind, solar and similar equipment able to generate electricity only with high levels of subsidies.

They will also make money from doing research, writing and speaking about global warming.

At the New York conference, sponsored by the Heartland Institute and attended by more than 700 scientists, Klaus declared that "there is no fixed and stable relationship between measured temperature and CO2 emissions.

"The believers in this hypothesis are not able to explain why the global temperature increased from 1918 to 1940, decreased from 1940 to 1976, increased from 1976 to 1998 and decreased from 1998 to the present, irrespective of the fact that people have been adding increasing amounts of CO2 to the atmosphere."

He said global warming alarmists "want to change us and our behavior. Their ambition is to control and manipulate us."

The global warming debate "has not made any detectable progress and the much needed, long overdue exchange of views has not yet started. All we see and hear are uninspiring monologues.

"It reminds me of the frustration people like me felt in the Communist era. Whatever you said, any convincing and well prepared arguments you used, any relevant data you assembled — no reaction. It all fell into emptiness. Nobody listened.

"They didn't even try to argue back. They considered you a naive, uninformed and confused person, an eccentric, a complainer, someone not able to accept their only truth. It is very similar now."

Recalling his experience at the recent World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, he said he spent three hours at a closed session with about 60 people - heads of state and "experts" like Al Gore, Tony Blair and Kofi Annan.

"It was a discouraging experience. You looked around in vain to find at least one person who would share your views. There was no one.

"All the participants of the meeting took man-made global warming for granted, were convinced of its dangerous consequences, and more or less competed in one special discipline — whether to suggest a 20, 30, 50 or 80 percent CO2 emissions cut as an agreed-upon, world-wide project. It was difficult to say anything meaningful and constructive."

Newsmax reported earlier that during the Davos conference in January, Klaus said: "I'm very sorry that some people like Al Gore are not ready to listen to the competing theories. I do listen to them.

"Environmentalism and the global warming alarmism is challenging our freedom. Al Gore is an important person in this movement."

Klaus concluded in New York: "The environmentalists speak about 'saving the planet.' From what? And from whom? One thing I know for sure: We have to save it - and us — from them."

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.