BBL Channel size in H-S Precision stock?

biggjake

Does anyone know approx. how large the barrel channel in the std hunting (Pro Series) Rem. 700 BDL is?I want to put together a hunting rifle with one of these stocks,and was just curious how larger H-S makes the bbl channels in their hunting stocks.I don't have any problems opening the thing up to accomidate a heavier than normal taper,I just don't want to have to hog the thing out to where there isn't a whole lot of matieral left either.I was kind of hoping to be able to use a #5 or #6 if it would work.Thanks

I have a #5 Pac nor barrel on one of the Remington 700 sporter stocks and I had to remove some material from the sides and bottom of the barrel channel. It's been awhile since I did it, but I don't remember being a great deal of work. When you get finished sanding, tape all the areas which are finished and then use a can of flat black spray paint and spray the exposed foam. Make sure you spray it on thicker than you normally would do. Let it dry for 24 hours and then wipe off the extra paint and it will be protected like the outside of the stock. I used break free liquid to wipe off the extra paint and plenty of paper towels. At first I thought I was wiping off all of the paint, but it was just the extra I had sprayed.

I just looked at my post and realized I need to clarify one thing. The material on the stock I had to sand away was around the barrel shank. The rest of the barrel channel was fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.