Mcmillan stock barrel channel

Eat Rice

I recently purchased a Mcmillan Game Scout for my Browning Xbolt long range hunter in .300 wm. When I called Mcmillan and asked about it they said it will fit up to a #5 barrel. So I thought it would be good seeing how the Browning says it is around a #4. Well long story short the barrel contacts the Game Scout for about 3-4 inches in the middle of the forearm. It is not by much that is contacts. How should I clearance that to a free floating barrel. Slowly with course sandpaper then with fine paper to finish? Or any other way with hand tools. I will glass bed the action when I am done as well. I do not have a mill or anything. Otherwise I love the stock, the grip is way more comfortable and fees more sturdy.

Use some sand paper wrapped around a socket or dowel of appropriate size if it's only slightly touching. Keep test fitting and get the whole barrel channel floated. After bedding I usually recheck freefloat and sand again if necessary.

Use some sand paper wrapped around a socket or dowel of appropriate size if it's only slightly touching. Keep test fitting and get the whole barrel channel floated. After bedding I usually recheck freefloat and sand again if necessary.

Yeah, that'll work. Wear a dust mask. I use a length of closet rod starfing with about 60 grit and working up to 120.
I just spent a couple of hours on a Stocky, opening up the barel channel. All's well that ends well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.