Batteries Suck, is the title of this news article

G

Batteries suck.
GEAR_Soldier_Power_Collage_British.jpg
Can QinetiQ Find a Better Idea?
Posted 23-Jun-2006 09:10 | Permanent Link
Related stories: Britain/U.K., Contracts - Awards, Other Corporation, R&D - Contracted, Soldier's Gear, Transformation
Modern technology gives soldiers many capabilities considered unthinkable 50 years ago, from ubiquitous night vision, to laser sighting that dramatically improves marksmanship, to GPS devices that make it possible for soldiers to know where they are at all times, and nore. All these wonders come with a severe penalty, however: batteries. Power-hungry devices "eat" them quickly, and the batteries are not standardized for different systems. As a result, combat loads for already-overtaxed soldiers can easily go up by several pounds to accommodate the batteries.

This problem will only get worse as various :"future infacntry" programs continue to advance, bringing even more electronics in their train.

I'll take your batteries suck and raise you two problems. If you've got ADD/Dyslexia like me (and reportedly GW), you forget to turn things off. My NF scopes almost always have dead batteries when I need them. My wind gauge is usually dead. My electronic muffs are DOA.

I buy batteries in bulk batches by the sea shore (the alliteration sort of failed at the end).

The one battery device I'm very happy with - my new LED flashlights. With 15 or more bulbs (each rated at 100,000 hours) and turning 80% of the battery power into light (in lieu of the 15% of the old fashioned incandescent bulb).
CES11038_LG.JPG
My tiny 24 LED flashlight will run 3 days straight on cheapo alkaline batteries.

Well batteries suck, and more so in extreme temps.

Everything that can be should be made to run off solar power (knew I was a tree hugger). Not the hardest thing in the world to hook a capacitor up to a sloar cell. Casio can and are doing it and as a variation on a theme Seiko are using kinetic energy.

Looking for non battery sights - Trijicon or Hensoldt used to do a tritium lit 10x. Torches - shake and shine jobs. etc.

Would be a nice idea in a laser rangefinder.

David.

Those old "Torches" were awesome. The Russians also use Tritium in their scopes. I think my favorite was the PN 21S? Long time ago...

[ QUOTE ]
I buy batteries in bulk batches by the sea shore (the alliteration sort of failed at the end).

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps if you bought them at Bass Pro Shops you could say it as I do... you see...

I buy batteries in bulk batches by the bass baits and bobbers.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The newer tech stuff has become more efficient, look at Aimpoint products. Their new M3 has updated electronics that will last for 6 years at 7 of 10 power. Mine stays on even in my safe. Soon other companies will see the need to outfit our troops with powerful, efficient devices. Most troops have scrapped their old issue GPS units for the light and efficient commercial units. The wave of the future! It just sickens me to think that all my gear is better than what the boys get.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> It just sickens me to think that all my gear is better than what the boys get. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me started on that subject. We went into WWI behind, WWII behind. No reason our boys shouldn't have the latest and greatest. I loath political discussion on gun/hunting forums - but if the tax and spend liberals have their way, things will only get worse for our hard fighting boys. Triple flip flopping Kerry nearly got elected, and he voted against many major military platforms.

As far as batteries and the military- I believe a solar panel which is quite portable and flexible is being tried/tested at this time to recharge batteries. Ive seen a couple of the commercail units and they look real neat.

[ QUOTE ]
It just sickens me to think that all my gear is better than what the boys get.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it the truth...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.