BASES AND RINGS... clarification on recoil shoulders please!

LRHWAL

I was hoping that you guys who have seen all of these can clear up some questions please...

On my shorter range, broken bushveld, type rifles I don't need the set up that I have on my long range rifle.

Here in South Africa I can't necessarily get to inspect all of these products and I'm looking to order some of these over the net from the US, where shopping is so much easier. The photographs on the websites focus on the view from the top, whereas I'd actually like photographs of the bottom of the rings!

I'm hoping to use a Weaver style set up and, ideally, I'd like the rings to have a flat (square or rectangular) recoil lug to match the bases. I'm worried about a round screw (recoil lug in the ring) in a square slot moving and even beating up the base over time.

I've had great results with Warne bases and rings in the past (also on a 375 H&H), but they may not be shipped to South Africa to protect the local agents, whose prices make them prohibitively expensive here now. By the way these would be my first choice and are my recommendation for a great fit between rings and bases and a great grip for even heavy scopes. I actually prefer these to the tactical type set-up that I went with in the past. Lighter, still really strong and far better looking (but maybe not as "cool").

I've used Weaver bases and rings with good results on low recoiling rifles and the lug has a slight flat (not great but not round!) on it. The Leupold QRW has a flat recoil shoulder. What about the Burris Zee Weaver style and what about the Leupold Rifleman vertical split rings? I know the rifleman is the cheap option, but after Warne I've come to like the sleek vertical split type setup.

Thanks for any clarification and advice on these. Some of the scopes may be quite heavy and the rifles will include several calibers, amongst others a very light 308 and a fairly light 338 WM.

Thanks.

WAL

the Weaver Tactical scope rings have flat sided (four sides) cross bolts...

These are aluminum rings, with steel cross bolts and nuts. They seem pretty sturdy...

Weaver Riflescope Mounts 1in Tactical Rings Medium Matte MODEL: 48349

Since these were so light, I went on an used 4 on my 338LM, but I'm sure that two would have done fine... :)

DSCN0020.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.