Base Question

Bw34

What make one base better than another? I'm building a savage 111 in 6.5 Sherman and am trying to figure out what scope base to get. I want good quality but if a $60 base is just as good as a $150 base I'd like to save the cash. The scope is a SWFA SS3-15x42

What make one base better than another? I'm building a savage 111 in 6.5 Sherman and am trying to figure out what scope base to get. I want good quality but if a $60 base is just as good as a $150 base I'd like to save the cash. The scope is a SWFA SS3-15x42

I put a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 on my Savage. I use Weaver aluminum bases and Burris Signature rings. I think the bases cost about $5-6 for both. Never had a problem. I'm not impressed with spending more money on something when I can spend less to get the same job done.

I put a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 on my Savage. I use Weaver aluminum bases and Burris Signature rings. I think the bases cost about $5-6 for both. Never had a problem. I'm not impressed with spending more money on something when I can spend less to get the same job done.

+1. I do the same but use Warne 2 piece steel bases. The Signature rings don't leave scope marks and you can get inserts for them that allow you to align the scope perfectly without using huge amounts of windage adjustment on the scope, if the base mount holes are not perfectly aligned for example. You can also use the inserts to a 10, 20, 30 MOA if you want. Very good product.

I used one set of aluminum bases and will only use steel from now on. FWIW I have used Leupold bases and Weaver bases, as well as knock-offs from both of these designs without a hiccup. I have heard that the one piece bases give better accuracy than two piece bases but I have never experienced this even on heavy hitters.

Check out EGW mounts. They are made to exacting tolerances for perfect fit and reasonably priced. Not to mention they are made here in the USA.

EGW Gun Parts

What's better? Steel or aluminum or is it more of a personal comfort level? Right now I'm looking at Warne and EGW. It looks like EGW has 3 different types. What are you guys using?

Thanks for the replies:)

Steel bases and rings are heavier. Some consider them more durable since aluminum bases can get wear marks if you are removing or tightening the rings up much. But they do save weight and can work just a well.

I weight is an issue on the new build, I would check out the Talley 1 piece base and ring. The base and ring are 1 piece so there is no connection to come loose. The are light too. Lots of shooters use them.

What's the advantage of this over two piece Weaver aluminum?

IMO, because of the difficulty in perfectly aligning two piece mounts perfectly on the same plane along the top of the receiver, a carefully bedded Picatinny rail is a superior method for scope mounting. Additionally, the rail offers a greater range of positions for moving the scope forward or to the rear as might be necessary.

Steel bases and rings are heavier. Some consider them more durable since aluminum bases can get wear marks if you are removing or tightening the rings up much. But they do save weight and can work just a well.

I weight is an issue on the new build, I would check out the Talley 1 piece base and ring. The base and ring are 1 piece so there is no connection to come loose. The are light too. Lots of shooters use them.

Weight is not a huge concern with this build but will save weight when I can. I kind of like the looks of a rail.

I heard a lot of good things about the Talley and I think they'll be perfect on my next project.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.