"Barts custom Bullets vs Hornady A-Maxs

Iron Worker

\"Barts custom Bullets vs Hornady A-Maxs

Ok shooting a 22-250AI With "Bart" Match 52gr FB 44.5grs of WW760 shoots in the 3s. Hornady 52gr A-Max in front of 39.5grs of IMR 4320 produces 4s. When useing match bullets with IMR 4320 it produces extremely poor accuracy.When shooting A-Max with ww 760 it produces marginal accuracy.Why? Both bullets are seated with in .005ths of lands. Same brass,same primer.These are 5 shot groups. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Re: \"Barts custom Bullets vs Hornady A-Maxs

[ QUOTE ]
Hornady 52gr A-Max in front of 39.5grs of IMR 4320 produces 4s. When useing match bullets with IMR 4320 it produces extremely poor accuracy./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying shooting in the 4s is extremely poor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In my 22-250, the 52gr smk shoots better than the 53 smk with the same charge. I am going to load up a new ladder to test the 53 smk and see how it will perform with its own load. 4320 is probobly too slow for your AI, and 4350 may perform best.

Oh I didn't mean it the way it read.Match bullets with WW-760 produced in the 3s.When I used Match bullets with IMR 4320 itproduced poor accuracy.But the A-Max shot in the 4swith IMR 4320.But Produced poor accuracy when I used the A-Maxs with WW-760 WHY? 4320 is faster burning than 4350. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Try shootings the Barts touching or in the lands. Try Varget powder also. Most "custom" bench bullets shoot better in the lands. A-Maxs are not a true custom bullet, but a way better choice for varmint hunting. Also a
22-250AI shooting in .3's is about as good as it gets IMHO.

Eddie Fosnaugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm satisfied with A-Maxs performance. 5 shot group .430.About 3900FPS. Tried all kinds of loads thru my Cooper Classic. Dang don't want to wear the BBL before I shoot a yote.Its the match bullets that produced in the 3s I'd rather use the A-Max for yotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4320 is faster than 4350 thats what I was saying. You may want to try a slower powder. I am shooting with Varget and 52 gr AMAX at 4104 (8 shot avg velocity) in my standard 22-250.

The man shooting a 22-250AI was shooting with 4350 but he was shooting 60 gr Hornady HP and VMAX at 37xx.

I'm satisfied with A-Maxs performance. 5 shot group .430.About 3900FPS. Tried all kinds of loads thru my Cooper Classic. Dang don't want to wear the BBL before I shoot a yote.Its the match bullets that produced in the 3s I'd rather use the A-Max for yotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just wanted to say that I also like the A-Max bullets. I use them in the 30 calibers that I have, the 168 & 178 gr. have always shot the tightest groups out of my guns.

Wow I posted that way back in 2005 ,rifle is long gone. Now I shoot a standard 22/250 chambered in a semi custom Weatherby Vanguard . Its "Bad to The Bone"
I saw that after I replied, don't know why it showed up under featured thread. Oh well, I still like the Amax bullets in the 30 cals.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.