Barren Ground Caribou Hunt By Shawn Carlock

Nice article Shawn, sounds like there is always something to learn on every trip. I too have just learnt the check the zero rule, on a recent trip anything inside 250 yds was DRT but I was 2 MOA high on the longer shots. Won't make that mistake again!

Stu.

I learn something everytime I go afield. The tundra shooting was some of the toughest shooting I have ever done. First time the shooting positions were more of an issue than the atmo conditions.

Hi Shawn,
You've lived one of my dreams!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it looks like a stunning place

I will get there one day I just have to convince the wife it wont be cold!!!

Regards 300WSMMAD

awesome story! thats pretty awesome, for some reason the whole time i was reading it i was picturing snow covered ground. then saw the pictures lol! good work none-the-less. you're left handed but shoot a righty rifle?

I learned young to shoot RH rifles and only in the last 10 years gotten any LH rifles. Honestly I shoot a bolt rifle from prone position faster if it is RH, my hand never leaves the firing grip.

Glad to see you liked your trip. I've been in northern Quebec for almost 20 years and it's all tundra. So yep a good place for long range hunting. Now getting ready to move south which I'm kind of scared to do. It's going to be a huge change. Plus will have to learn different hunting methods.

Shawn,

Great read! What did you think of Nome? I flew in 6 Sept, out to camp north of Teller, 7 Sept. Then came back in the 16th and onto Anchorage the 17th. First we stayed at the Aurora Inn, very nice. We came out a day late and they were booked and had to stay at the Polaris. HORRIBLE! Above the Polaris bar, loud, smelly, smoky, etc. You must have been futher East or NE of Nome as we only saw one Caribou on our trip. LOTS of big moose of where in I shot a 62" @ 15 yds with my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC. My best friend shot a VERY nice 8-1/2' Grizzly with his Borden Magnum in 300 WSM.

The colors, Ptarmigan, scenery, fishing, wildlife, all were absolutely fantastic!

Alan

Congradulations, It looks like you guys had a good hunt... I've also hunted barren land caribou in the Northwest territories in -30 C daytime temps, and camped at -39 C night time temperatures. I would have preferred the warmer time of year to hunt but I was offered an opportunity which I couldn't pass up.

It was a community harvest with the Dene people and one which I will remember for the rest of my life. I was at the far end of the Lake and bent over doing some skinning, and suddenly I heard a sound. When I turned around there was a group of more then 50 caribou travelling across the frozen lake through deep snow. It was quiet, with no wind and the texture of the snow was like grains of sugar. And near dusk, one could hear the sound of the snow being pushed away from their hoofs, and see the siloquettes of their graceful forms travelling in unison...

Night fall was approaching quickly, and the temps were dropping. But as I shivered, I saw something that very few people have ever seen. A memory of another good hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.