Barrel Vise

hardhead53

I am interested in finding the best barrel vise that will break Remington 700 barrels without having to break the bank. I have tried Midways junk and now am looking for something that works. Please advise me on what your thoughts are and where to buy. Thanks, Todd

The davidson and tubb vices are aluminium and to lite duty for serious work. Get some 1.5" square stock and build your own. The net is full of plans and pics.

The brownell's action wrench and barrel vise setup is hard to beat. Heavy duty enough to take care of most any job you'll ever run into.

The brownell's action wrench and barrel vise setup is hard to beat. Heavy duty enough to take care of most any job you'll ever run into.

+1

I bought this vise and a set of aluminum bushings in different sizes and contours.

And have not found anything that it would not remove (Even the Remingtons with
the thread sealer).

I use a heavy paper shop towel to protect fine finishes.

J E CUSTOM

don't get me wrong, I have and use an aluminum bbl vise, but only for bench guns that have already had the bbl's removed once. They just are nott strong enuf for that "first time" break.

don't get me wrong, I have and use an aluminum bbl vise, but only for bench guns that have already had the bbl's removed once. They just are nott strong enuf for that "first time" break.

All barrel vices are not alike and the ones with aluminum inserts are different depending on
the manufacture.

The one that I bought from brownells is capable of breaking "Any" barrel lose and with the
paper softeners grip is not an issue.

I have used a 4' cheater on the action wrench in order to break some stubborn actions out and the barrel does not turn.

I have tried leather,wood,rosin and even emery paper and the paper works the best with the
aluminum inserts.

J E CUSTOM

All barrel vices are not alike and the ones with aluminum inserts are different depending on
the manufacture.

The one that I bought from brownells is capable of breaking "Any" barrel lose and with the
paper softeners grip is not an issue.

I have used a 4' cheater on the action wrench in order to break some stubborn actions out and the barrel does not turn.

I have tried leather,wood,rosin and even emery paper and the paper works the best with the
aluminum inserts.

J E CUSTOM

I agree, not all vises are alike, I made my own and machine aluminum inserts as required, and I also like the paper for "grip" and protection of the bbl finish.

It cracks me up watching that Larry Potterfield video. I bet my left (and right) nut that that barrel had already been removed. I want to see someone break an old WWII Mauser with wood blocks that easily.........I usually end up running a parting tool between the action and the barrel shoulder.

Here's the barrel vise I built...............

DSC_2507-vi.jpg

DSC_2509-vi.jpg

DSC_2508-vi.jpg

OK Guys, I know what you are saying but I am still looking for the best Barrel Vise for breaking out Remington Barrels. Who out there would have one thats made with bushings out of aluminum. Is there anyone who makes a simple vise and when I say simple, that means tighten the crap out of it and it doesent slip. I am so tired of the barrel spinning even with Rosin or paper. I would really like to buy one that actually works like LOL!! Larry Pothead is demonstrating!! Who out there would be willing to sell me one?? Let me know, Thanks Todd DuBose

BROWNELLS BARREL VISE!!!! For the second time. Tighted the FOUR cap head screws on the vise on a REMINGTON barrel, and it WILL NOT SLIP. They are built stought as hell and you won't get anything better without building it yourself.

BROWNELLS BARREL VISE!!!! For the second time. Tighted the FOUR cap head screws on the vise on a REMINGTON barrel, and it WILL NOT SLIP. They are built stought as hell and you won't get anything better without building it yourself.

+1 on "build it yourself" if you'r into rebarreling, you must be handy enuf to build one. Very easy yo do, I use 1.5" square stock as material to start with, simple machining to get the shape u need and "square",bore the bbl hole, and the alum inserts can be made by a high school shop class if you don't have lathe and mill.

I just ordered the following steel from speedymetals.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-1/2" {A} x 3" {B} Cold Finished 1018-12"
SKU: 18f1.5x3-12
Cutting Tolerance: Plus or Minus 1/4"
1 12 $26.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-3/4" {A} Rd 6061-T6511 Aluminum, Extruded-12"
SKU: 61r1.75-12
Cutting Tolerance: Plus or Minus 1/4"
2 12 $27.12

Subtotal: $53.61
Shipping (UPS Ground): $20.20
Tax: $0.00
Total: $73.81

I'm going to build a very heavy duty barrel vise that will mount in the trailer hitch on my pickup truck. I figure this is one of the most rigid setup I have access to and the action wrench will be down low where I can stand on it, or use my 3-Ton hydraulic floor jack if I really need some help!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.