Barrel Vise

Man, this thing looks awesome. I have one enroute to demo. Way cheaper than the SAC.

Brad
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Let us all know your review of this SOLUS Barrel Vise. Seems a little $$$$$.
We have been using this barrel vise (and an oxy acetylene torch) and never had a barrel and action we couldn't separate!

Attachments

• Barrel Vise.jpg
    Barrel Vise.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 94
I'm working on a design that doesn't require bushings or being tightening. Easily reversible or just inset from the other end. I've learned this concept from industrial knowledge that will have a holding power more powerful than clamping force without non-maring also. Now it's making a prototype when there's time.

Brad
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Let us all know your review of this SOLUS Barrel Vise. Seems a little $$$$$.
We have been using this barrel vise (and an oxy acetylene torch) and never had a barrel and action we couldn't separate!
Just chowed on some Cajun crab legs and fixings. So right now all is grand!

Last edited:
I'm working on a design that doesn't require bushings or being tightening. Easily reversible or just inset from the other end. I've learned this concept from industrial knowledge that will have a holding power more powerful than clamping force without non-maring also. Now it's making a prototype when there's time.
You are directly ordered to keep me in the loop! 😆 That sounds awesome!

It's always fun to read about the ideas for prototyping. But sometimes the disconnect between ideas and actual prototyping can be a lengthy wait. Please be sure to keep all of us in the loop with this project!

:)

I've got a Davidson vise but it will leave a stripe on a barrel, even with using toilet paper rolls as shims. I bought this to use on barrels that are coated and I'm finding myself using it more than the other, even on bare barrels.

SAC has a hinged one but I didn't feel it was worth the additional cost.

Hard to tell on that, no specs on the hardware.
Mine is shop made, with 7/8" threaded rod- all grade 8 (which is critical) including n&w.
If you're pulling the "toughest" barrels, you need clamping force (notwithstanding whatever the poster above has in mind) and surface area contact on the barrel- and you need the hardware that can withstand you tightening the nuts with a 3 or 4 foot cheater pipe.
You can have 2 tons of clamping force, but if you're only contacting a small surface of the barrel it's going to slip.

Obviously if the barrel has a few inches of straight cylinder/no taper at the shank it's easy-peasy. Some sporter contours like the Tikka have no cylinder- it's tapered from the receiver ring forward and these are the toughest. I either machine/bore a custom bushing or push the easy button and take a blank bushing and use Devcon 10110 putty to mold the contour inside the bushing.

What I don't like about the one above is it uses proprietary bushings- no idea why they're not simply round and have that strange protrusion on them. It ain't the bushing that slips when pulling a barrel.